Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Mountain Bliss


What a way to spend my birthday! The route to the Lahu tribes’ village in the mountains of Chiang Rai was not an easy one to traverse. The saongtow (an open pickup truck with a canopy) brought us to the Hot Springs of Chiang Rai. There we are met by Noi, the owner of the Limeleaf Eco-lodge. We travel with her, first to her house part of the way up the mountain. There we deposit most of our belongings so that the trek to the lodge will be manageable. We drive almost to the lodge in her truck. Then we walk the last 800 metres on our own.

It isn’t easy! The slope up the narrow dirt path angles approximately 45 degrees at times. I must admit, I have to stop often to catch my breath. I am, after all, 16 hours older than I was yesterday!

In the community we are joined by residents, volunteers, and travellers searching for refuge from busy city life, and, also for a place to work to build the land, plant organic food, and build a natural sustainable environment for living. The owners of the property, Noi and Wanai are both Thai. Chris is English and lives here half the year. The other half of the year he is a chef on a huge, expensive yacht working for very wealthy people. In his heart, though, he strives for simplicity and basic living. He finds it here at LimeLeaf Lodge as he helps run the activities here.

Scattered all around the mountains, sometimes even visible from our lodge, I can see small gatherings of huts clustered together. These comprise the homes of the various tribes who live in the mountains. The Lahu tribe is the closest, living directly below our lodge. Many other tribes live in nearby areas. Each have their own language, specific culture, costume, and ways of being. Several Lahu people find work with Limeleaf and prosper from their presence.

Our accommodations are very simple and perfect. We live in a brick cabin with a fireplace and tin roof. It sits on top of a small cliff overlooking the kilometres of trees and plants of herbs and vegetables. Bananas, coffee, and ferns grow all over the surface of the land. It is truly beautiful! Communally-built structures sprout across the property. Various cabins for sleeping, porches with long wooden tables for eating, and little terraces for sleeping scatter everywhere. We know that everything that stands here, was built by the community of Lahu, visitors and volunteers that live or pass through here.

Life has quieted down for us since we’ve arrived. With no internet or cell phone connections we take the opportunity to disengage. It feels good, and, at the same time, uncomfortable. I don’t generally feel the need to disengage. I welcome the embrace that my life has to offer me. My children and the communication I have with each of them, my on-going discussions about my working opportunities, and my interaction with others in the world enhance my existence always. And yet, taking a few days to regroup and regenerate my energy is rewarding. I have been barefoot since we’ve arrived.

The people who come and go here come from various countries. Our mates now are from France, England, Norway, U.S.A. We gather together often after they have finished their work for the day. They are building mud houses and taking care of the extensive organic gardens that are here. We’ve been playing together in the Lahu villages, visiting the beautiful natural and desolate waterfalls, drinking delicious fresh coffee, cooking and eating communal meals, playing music and engaging in fascinating and invigorating conversation. I am filled with the joy of sharing time with such interesting and diverse people of all ages. From 21 years old to 60 (that’s Paul) we share so much of what we have, and, I recognize once again, the gifts of the young and the old and I revel in the chance to share it all together!

Yoga, meditation in the mountains, talking quietly with others, observing the flow of nature and living peacefully amongst the residents here, reminds me of the wholeness of who I am and helps to strengthen my soul as I move through my day. I am definitely finding peace!



Tonight as I look at the stars above, I thank Noi and Chris, the volunteers who have become our friends and all the energies that come from around me, for another wonderful day! I, once again, feel completely blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment