Saturday, January 25, 2014

Feeling So Strong

Next week is my birthday again! Some people avoid celebration or acknowledgement of their birthday preferring to keep it low key and quiet. I don’t need to be loud about it, but I do like to recognize the anniversary of the day I was born! It reminds me to give thanks to my parents for giving me life. I get to remember my siblings who were there with me during the whole first part of living. I think about all the people who have contributed to the person I have become. And I also like to reflect on who I am now and how I want to continue to grow and give credit to myself and to the years I have lived.

I am excited about moving in to my 60th year! I feel good and healthy and strong. I am excited about my life and grateful…oh so grateful for the life I lead! Daily, I give thanks for the choices I have made and for the places I find myself, physically, intellectually, and spiritually.

This week, for instance, I climbed 1,257 steps to the top of the Tiger Temple in Krabi, where the Buddha sits ominously watching over the landscape of the city. Along the way I pass many people, both younger and older than myself, who don’t make it to the top. I feel strong though, and, although I’m not afraid to stop, I do feel determined to make it all the way up! And when I do get there, I spend time looking down upon this beautiful city, and sit alongside Buddha to take some time to be quiet and contemplate. I feel strong!



I have spent several days while in Krabi, motor-scootering around visiting the beautiful natural hot springs of Klong Thom. I have grasped the ledge under the waterfalls of the springs and allowed the force of the water to massage my head and back. I have visited the clear waters of Emerald Pond and walked for kilometres through boisterous busy jungles to get from one place to the next. I have figured out how to get along with monkeys and how to avoid their wrath when they don’t get my ice cream or a chance to share whatever I am eating at the time. I have learned to hiss back, playfully, at them when they try to assert their place in the woods.

I have had several transports by long-tail boats to get me to various beaches around Krabi. I have climbed the cliffs of Raileh Beach and wandered through the wild woods from one side of that beautiful island to the other just as the masses of mosquitoes descended. I watched and listened as they feasted on Paul’s skin. They don’t touch me for some reason. Maybe it’s my patchouli!

I’ve paddled in a kayak with Paul for hours off of Ao Nang Beach exploring the banks of the mountains and cliffs of the area. As we paddle I remain in awe of the beauty that lay in front of us. The cliffs, covered with growth in places and bare rock in others, jut out of the water in different shapes and sizes and groupings. The view is spectacular and paddling through the caves compound the experience.

I have spent 2 full days on Booze Cruises with 20 -30 year olds (at least pretending) to keep up with their alcohol consumption. I snorkelled and scuba dived and walked and climbed through caves. I jumped off cliffs of about 10 meters high and bounced around on a motorized long-tail boat as it carried me across the Andaman Sea.

I ate curries and seafood and pad thais. I tasted deep fried seafood and tempura vegetables while drinking Chang beers and delicious fresh fruit shakes. I stayed up late (at least till 11!), woke up early and loved every single minute of experiencing life in Thailand with my partner Paul.


Yep! Turning 59 next week is exciting for me! My 60th year will be rich. I’m not ready to slow down yet. I am ready for new adventures and a new perspective. I deserve it. I’ve earned it. I’m ready!







No comments:

Post a Comment