Thursday, January 24, 2013

Just Sayin'...


Just sayin’……

Teachers, working in private schools earn about 25,000 rupees (less than $500) per month. Government employed teachers, working in public schools earn about 6,000 rupees (about $110). In Fort Cochin, alone, there are about 20 schools. Some of those are private schools and some are public. Population is 12,000 living in a radius of about 10 square kilometres. I have been in grade 1 classrooms with 70 kids and one teacher. I have also been in grade 8 classes with 13! The overall literacy rate in Kerala is 97%! That’s incredible!

The Malayalam word for ‘thank you’ is nanni. It is a word I rarely hear. People just don’t say ‘thank you’ very often. There is, however, a perpetual tone of gratitude. Maybe it has to do with the cultural attitude about God. I remember once, when I thanked my Yoga teacher’s mother for cooking our meal, Sajee answered with what seemed like a correction, “Thank you, food.” Ultimately our gratitude is to God, without whom nothing would exist.

Traffic in the streets is absolutely chaotic anywhere I travel in India! Allocated laneways seem to be merely a suggestion with vehicles riding willy nilly on the roads without order. Horns blare constantly. “I’m coming”! they seem to say. “Watch out”! And yet, there is no road rage…no middle fingers thrusting out of car windows, no vulgar curses being shouted to one another, no angry assaults on fellow drivers. People remain calm and forgiving. And, eventually I have become more comfortable with the crazy driving!

There is a different sense of personal space here. On public buses, men and women are encouraged to sit separately with women in the front, and men in the back. Yesterday, I board the bus to find that the only empty seat is towards the back.  I am not discouraged. I sit in the single empty seat, even though I am surrounded by men. I feel okay. So why does the ticket taker insist on standing right on top of me so close that he pushes me right up against the window. He could have stood anywhere. Why did he have to stand so close to me?

Elaborately decorated buses and trucks display colourful lettering giving praise to God. Glittery ornaments dangle from windshields along with sparkly pictures of the driver’s favourite deities. It is common to see trucks packed with standing men moving through the streets. They must never be afraid of falling because they’re stacked so close together they hold each other up naturally.

There is no reprieve from populated areas throughout the province of Kerala. Travelling from one town to another means travelling through one town and another. They all look the same. Colourful displays of women in saris scurrying through he streets, men in simple dhotis drinking tea together and hanging out, motorcycles, scooters, bicycles, and cars, ornately decorated buses and trucks, and cows and goats fill the streets.

On beaches woman wear full saris and, if they choose to go into the ocean, they do so fully clothed. Men wear whatever they want, usually western style bathing suits, or stripped down to their underwear. Respectfully, when I go to the beach I wear my typical western clothing, which isn’t the least bit provocative, and I go in the ocean fully clothed. It’s not so bad, although I still prefer the freedom of bathing suits.
I think the thing I notice most here is the lack of choice. Though people are generally satisfied with life, they really know nothing different. Sandia, the woman who oversees our homestay, has never been out of Kerala. “Fort Cochin, Kollam, Kalikut, I go only there.” Generally, people here have little desire to leave India. Vacations, if they are lucky enough to have them, usually happen in other parts of the state. People just love their country...and know nothing else.

I am continuously reflecting on the cultural diversity that we share with these wonderful people. So much of how we behave is so different. I have finally gotten to a stage where I try not to think too much about it. Life here is just the way it is….it isn’t good or bad….it just is. If I think too much about it, if I try to understand, I end up creating stories that might not be true. I am finding it easier to just let the experience happen. Why question? I am letting go of the need to understand. I don’t understand! I just live, and learn and embrace! I’m just sayin’…….

No comments:

Post a Comment