Saturday, October 22, 2011

Unity


Yoga means Unity. The practise of Yoga is seeking unity in everything we do. Unity of body, mind, and spirit, unity of emotion and intellect and soul, unity of breath, and motion, unity of the energy between the sun and moon and planets and the stars. The opposite of unity, according to Yoga, is diversity.

Brahman is defined as a state of absolute. Like understanding God, Brahman is almost impossible to describe. It is trust and acceptance…the absolute. Ultimately, it is a place of constant love, compassion and wisdom….Yoga. For me it's the ultimate!

For Sajee, Yoga is not just about the postures (although he has me in positions I never thought I’d ever be able to achieve.) With Sajee, I am learning an Indian way to Yoga. Seven hours a day we practice Yoga together. Ultimately, the intention is to make it completely a part of our lives. Sajee models that in every thing he does. It is through his modelling that I am learning how to apply Yoga in to our every day lives.

By the time I arrive at Sajee’s house for pranayama (breathing exercises) he has already been meditating and practising complex asanas for 1 ½ hours, often with other eager students. At 6:00 we gather together for an hour of breathing exercises to clear out the passageways and strengthen lungs and muscles. We then have tea before we make our way ½ kilometre to The Secret Garden, a beautiful garden where, below a tree house, we protect ourselves from the early morning mosquitoes, and have a 2 ½ hour Yoga class which includes asana practise as well as meditation and chanting. Breakfast follows; a delicious homemade satvik meal that noticeably nourishes the body and even feeds the soul. I am noticing a difference in my cravings lately. I haven’t had coffee in 6 days!

I cherish the time between 11:00 and 2:00 as my own. During that time, I read, or write, or ride my bike around the area, doing chores or visiting building that look interesting, or talking to people who sit in their shops with nothing going on and no one to talk to. I like this time, too, to be alone and reflect.

At 2:00 I go back to Sajee’s for Philosophy lesson and dialogue. It’s a bit like a daily Satsang. We use a manual that outlines the certification programme for international Yoga Teacher Training. But I don’t think I’m learning the same things as other students taking this certified course. Not everybody has Sajee as their teacher!

At 4:00 we begin our evening asana and meditation practise for 2 ½ - 3 hours. Our Yoga day ends with another wonderful meal.

Recently I heard a beautiful metaphor that likened Yoga practise to a car. The Asana (postures) is what keeps the vehicle in good shape. The Prana (breath) is the battery that helps the energy flow. Sivasana is the radiator of the vehicle that provides cooling and relaxation. Proper (Satvik) diet is the gasoline…. preferably low octane and pure. Relaxation – Vedanta is what puts you in control of it all.


No comments:

Post a Comment