Sunday, October 23, 2011

Sunday Afternoon in Fort Cochin


The ominous clouds and heavy atmosphere didn’t stop our group of 11 from our plans for a Sunday outing. Minutes after our morning Yoga practise, we set out by ferry and then bus to the local public beach. Joined by our commitment to Yoga, we range in age from about 25 to 70. Our ages don’t matter. There is love, compassion and respect for each other. And we just have fun together!

Crowded, with the boisterous laughter of men and children, the Arabian Sea provides a playful opportunity and a welcome respite from the crowded bustling villages. The waves are wild, delivering mucky clumps of seaweed and large broken pieces of sea vegetation to the shore. Men and children play joyfully in the waves.

Women in Kerala don’t wear bathing suits! Expected intimidation from males, and unnatural shyness prevent women from wearing appropriate clothing to join in the ocean play. Instead, clusters of women clad in colourful saris, stand, lining the shores of the sandy beach. They are quiet, passive, almost smiling as they gather together, watching enviously as their families play.

I can’t help but wonder what life is like for these women inside their vibrant, lively saris. The outer layer seems so brilliant and glamorous and rich. Having worn a sari once before I know it is awkward and heavy. With 9 meters of unstitched fabric wrapped around my body I found it challenging to move around. Maybe it would take time for me to get used to it. But…. why would I? If I go shopping for a dress and try on something that feels uncomfortable, I don’t buy it. I don’t try to make it feel comfortable. Saris look beautiful, no doubt. And I can’t imagine that many women would rather be wearing bathing suits and joining their families in the ocean!

I am mindful of being respectful of the cultural mores, and, at the same time, don’t want to hold back my own desires as long as it doesn’t hurt any body. For instance, I do wear sleeveless dresses and tops in the oppressive heat, and, I always carry a shawl to cover my shoulders if I’m in a place where I need to be especially modest.

Though I didn’t have a bathing suit with me today, I would have worn a full piece suit and felt comfortable enough to join my friends in the water. One woman from our group wore a two-piece (itsy bitsy kind of) bikini. After some unwanted attention from hoards of boys, everyone settled in to a comfortable game of ball throwing in the waves. The attention waned, the attraction blended in with what was going on before and everyone went back to just having fun!

I just love hanging out on a beach, in the sand with friends. We play guitars and sing, eat (non- satvik) treats and enjoy the playfulness of the day. When the rains became heavy we took shelter under a metal roof. We watched the rains come while drinking hot chai, and talking with the local people. I continue to watch as umbrellas shoot up and Indians remain in the rain, on the beach, enjoying the day. It’s Sunday in Fort Cochin and we’re here!

Now, I’m back in my cosy little room after a delicious and fun meal at Dal Roti with my friends. Life is so good. I feel incredibly blessed to be where I am, with whom I am, and having the opportunity of being right here now! Is it just luck that has helped me find this little community of wonderful people who I now call my friends? Or is it all really meant to be?



No comments:

Post a Comment