Friday, October 14, 2011

Changes-Everything Stays the Same

I think I might have been an Indian in one of my previous lives. I feel so comfortable here even though the culture is, oh, so different and I definitely don’t speak the same verbal language. Yet, I do have an understanding for and a basic acceptance of the way people here behave. It’s so unlike Canada!

Saying “Thank you” is rarely something you’ll hear in India. Its expression is experienced regularly, though, through the broad, teeth exposed smiles, or the common playful shaking of the head, or the energetic shuffling wave of an open hand. “Thank you” they say, as I ride my bike in the streets! ”Thank you for being here!” I get it!

The ridiculous, constant honking of the vehicular traffic, so annoying and intrusive at times, is just another way of saying “I’m here! Here I am! I’m alive! Move over!”

I ride down the familiar streets. The storeowners, wave vigorously as I pass. Some of them even say “Hey. Where have you been?” I’m almost laughing as I yell backwards. “I’m back!”

The streets of Fort Cochin are abuzz. I have had a beautiful sleep and I’m ready for the day. Finding my way back to the waterfront, I sit in my old spot on the shore. It looks the same. The water continues to flow. The fishing ships have stayed in their same place. The crows still fly in search of food as they did last year. The playful rabbit garbage pail still smiles from the boardwalk. It’s all the same. I think it is me who has changed.

I hear things differently today. It is all a bit clearer….maybe even louder. It is easier for me to discriminate.

A family stops beside me to take a photograph. I right away offer to take it so they might all be included in the pose. They willingly accept. When the picture is taken, I hand them back their camera. But, no, they insist on taking one with me in there too! New friends; we will be together in print forever now.

India has taught me so much! “Call us when you have bussed, hitchhiked, walked your way to India”, mocks my son before I leave Canada. I might not go in luxury, but I sure am glad I’m here!

My smile is almost constant! I can’t help it. It is coming from inside and I don’t hold back!

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful Amy! I am almost there with you! It's wonderful to have you "in print" again. Keep it up! Paul

    ReplyDelete