Saturday, January 8, 2011

On The Road Again....


Our approach into the city is at dusk. I am reminded of the unique sight that New York offers. I don’t call it beautiful. It is more awesome than beautiful, evoking a sense of cheerlessness and austerity as the clouds hang densely waiting for the snow to fall. The trees bordering the Hutchinson River Parkway no longer have their colours. The leaves have gone and the baroness on the trees seems to reflect the loneliness that the busy, crowded city of New York offers.

This is our first stop on our two-month road trip, an adventure inspired by our commitment to avoid Canadian Winters. This year our destination is a far off exotic land…the United States. We have often talked about taking a ‘road trip’ through the United States. With our grand daughter, Stella turning 7 the end of January, and my birthday happening around the same time, we decided to make that time our eventual arrival in Los Angeles.

Beginning in New York for a family Bat Mitzvah, we begin our travels with family, friends, and a taste of the craziness of New York.

I’m happy to be on the road again, travelling into areas that are unfamiliar, exciting and sometimes scary. Undoubtedly, travelling through the U.S. is very different from travelling in India! First of all, I’ve never felt so nervous about a trip before. I’m worried about being robbed, about bedbugs in hotels, and about being disgusted with cold, stormy weather conditions. And, at the same time, I’m feeling that this road trip is a pursuit towards something bigger. I’m close to home, investigating areas that I’ve heard about all my life and never visited. I’m excited about recognizing the cultural diversity that exists in the U.S. just by moving from state to state. And, I’m looking forward to meeting up with close friends along our route and eventually some of our children in California.

We’ll be staying with friends, Couchsurfing and the occasional hotel along the way. Another adventure begins…..



1 comment:

  1. Is this picture taken in front of your house? My daughter almost became your neighbor, but she missed it.

    We are having more snow now.

    You did well to head South; I hope you escaped their big snowstorms.

    Best,
    Erich.

    ReplyDelete