Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Canyon Mother


I'm waiting for the sun. A new day is beginning at the great hole of the Grand Canyon. It is 6:58 a.m. I'm wide awake eager to experience the spectacular sun rise.
As I approach the rim of the Canyon, I am surprised to see a Chasidic man with his tzitzit visible through his jacket. He is holding a siddur. He shuckles and chants, facing east towards Jerusalem. With the expanse of the Grand Canyon before him, he is immersed in prayer.
The depths of the Grand Canyon are mind-boggling. The sun light melts her way into all the cracks 5,000 feet below. She slowly covers the gigantic energetic cavity. The sculpted rock structures can only be the work of God, or, what Chrysta calls 'the Mother'. I am in awe of the natural presence around me and so aware of the perfection of the art display. Each view....every turn I make, is breath taking!
As I walk around the rim of the Canyon there are moments when I actually can't breath. Occasionally, the viewpoint podiums suspend above the vastness of the Mother Earth. Below me is a hole so large, so multilayered that I fear I might be completely absorbed into it's abyss. No one would ever find me. I could be lost forever!
Diaramas of coloured sand layer the scene. Occasionally, structures of similar colour cluster strategically together. They are cousins, formed over billions of years. Their colour is similar, but the substance has changed. I feel the agelessness of the pit. I sense the activity it emits. I am humbled by it's power. I think I have never been anywhere like this before!
As I leave the rim, I hear the melodic sounds of a drone from around the bend. I walk slowly over to the sound and crane my neck just a little. A man, dressed in western clothes is prostrated on his prayer mat. A Muslim carrying out his afternoon prayer.
I am sure now. We are in God's land.

No comments:

Post a Comment