Thursday, January 13, 2011

Interconnected Somehow


I am often in awe about the interconnectedness of our lives. Last week’s workshop with teachers and teacher candidates was exciting because it was my first time working with students from Niagara University. It was a big surprise to discover that their campus is right downtown and not very far from where I live.

My daughter Jacquie, an undergraduate student at Guelph University finally decided to give in to mom and take my workshop for the 3 days. It was such a joy to have her there and to share with her what I do. The last time we did anything like that was when I brought her to George Brown College for “Bring Your Child to Work Day” a mere 7 years ago.

The group was such an eager and enthusiastic group. We had fun together and learned a great deal. I was reminded, pleasantly, how much I learn from teaching.

During the first day of training, one of the students asks, “Are you Jonathan Block-Verk’s mother? “Yes” I answered. “How did you know that?”

“I recognized you. He and I went to Junior High School together. That was 25 years ago!”

And yet another student, hearing that I live part time on Gabriola informs me, “I know someone on Gabriola….a yoga teacher named Maalaa Maalaa and I are really close friends!

Life is like that. When I open up to opportunities, connections happen more readily. The more connections we make, the more we can make. I love ending my sessions with Robert Fulghum’s words “When you go out into the world, remember to hold hands and stick together.” Holding hands makes the ride just a little bit more joyous!




No comments:

Post a Comment