Monday, June 21, 2010

Individual Decision Making and Bonnaroo




Every year for the passed 6 years my brother and I make our way to Manchester Tennessee for the annual music festival called Bonnaroo. My brother comes from Connecticut. I come from Toronto. We meet in Nashville, rent a car and spend a wild and fun weekend together.

Bonnaroo is all about the music. The excitement mounts during the year. The line up of performers usually arrives in January and introduces the (approximately) 300 bands that will be playing in the 6 different stages and tents. My goal each year is to attend those bands that I already know and love, and also to seek out new bands to add to my list of favourites.

This year for me there were a few ‘no brainers’. …bands that were up there on my ‘must see’ list. Michael Franti and Spearhead, a hip hop/rocky/ reggae band from California with

spiritual/political messages is one of my favourites. Stevie Wonder, a long time classic was one that I looked forward to hearing. Dave Rawlings featuring Gillian Welsh gave me my Canadian fix. I really like Gillian Welch and loved the entire band.

On the last night I saw Dave Mathews Band. I had never seen them before. That was a treat! Before Dave Mathews, I got to hear another of my faves….Zac Brown Band. I was first introduced to them 6 years ago, my virgin attendance at Bonnaroo. They were playing in one of the very small stages. I sat at a table. There were about 100 people in the room, and I absolutely fell in love with their music. At the time I sat with their fiddle player, Jimmy Dee, after the show. The venue was small and intimate unlike that night when 30,000 people got to hear them, dance to their music and appreciate their vibe.

Choosing which bands I will hear is a challenge. Before the weekend begins, I sit with the schedule of the 3 days. I use 3 different coloured pens. I go through the bands that I undoubtedly want to see, marking them clearly with one colour. My children, familiar with various musical genres, offer their recommendations. I highlight those in another colour. I research unfamiliar bands, sometimes even ‘taste’ their music on You Tube. And so I go to Bonnaroo with some idea about what I want to listen to during my weekend.


But individual decision-making is never that simple. Sometimes the decision I make is not about the music at all. Sometimes the band becomes less of a priority and hanging out with Michael becomes important. I might just check out his choice instead.

Or, maybe it’s raining and the venue I have chosen is uncovered. I might the chose a band that is playing under a tent, or maybe not. I might just withstand the rain for the love of the music.

Maybe I won’t even have to choose! I might be able to figure out how to split my time to

see many bands. The schedules are often staggered to allow for this.

Bonnaroo is a lesson in individual decision-making. I remember that there are many factors that influence the way we make decisions. What we know, how we feel, who we feel like being with are just a few. The important thing is to keep an open mind and to respect the decisions of others. Ultimately…who knows why people do the things they do.

I love Bonnaroo! Everything about it is special. So much music, glorious weather, fun people, and very special time with my brother! What more could I ask for?

Thanks for another great Bonnaroo…Mike! Looking forward to next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment