Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Cleaning the Dirt or A Place of Dhyāna

I spend hours cleaning the dirt on our land on Whalley Road. Each day I put on my dirty cloths, choose music that suits my mood, and get down on the ground to ‘clean the dirt.’ I don’t wear gloves. There’s something about cleaning the dirt that I find peaceful and calming. I know that there is no end to the task. Dirt will always be dirty. I realize it isn’t the product I’m interested in when I clean the dirt. It is the process. I notice the small steps. I appreciate the progress. I love seeing the difference from the piece I’ve worked and the one I’ll work on tomorrow. And I know there is always more to do. It never ends. I hope it never does.

Soon I'm going to put flowers in the garden. Or maybe I’ll plant herbs or vegetables. For now, the garden keeps getting cleaner and cleaner. There are fewer rocks, not as many underground roots from dying trees. The old tree trunks are composting underground so when I find them with my trowel they disintegrate with my touch.

Today I found my first worm in the dirt. Maybe one day the dirt will be clean enough for other animals to prosper. Maybe not!

Gillian Welsh plays as I dig my hands down deep. Both arms are immersed in the earth. I sing and dig and absorb the sunshine energy. I feel the breeze from the beach. I smile. I am happy just cleaning the dirt. I'm just cleaning the dirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment