Monday, February 8, 2010

We are all the Same...We are all Different


In India mostly everyone is Indian. Now, that might sound a bit strange, but, think about it. In Canada people come from all over the world. It is common to wander the streets anywhere in Canada and see people who look different.

It is obvious, here, that Paul and I are different.

There are so few westerners walking the streets. People openly stare at us and shower us with curious attention. Yesterday, we went walking on the streets of Kumily and a young man asked if he could take our picture! What a surprise that was! And it got me to think about how homogeneous a society they have here.

I think, in Canada, we take cultural diversity for granted. I can’t imagine what a person would have to be wearing to attract my complete attention. There is so little we don’t see. We are familiar and usually comfortable with worldly attire and customs. We generally understand cultural practises and, for the most part, celebrate the rich diversity to which we are exposed.

Immigration in India is probably close to 0%. There are few people, I would guess coming to remain here. The Visa laws have recently been changed to discourage foreigners from staying too long. I understand that a 3 -month visa all that’s being offered to travellers. The buzzword about that is, that the Indian masses are concerned about westerners coming and exploiting the cheap labour and inexpensive existence. There’s probably a great deal of truth in that, but, I would think that travellers also add to the economic benefits too.


As I travel through this country I more and more appreciate the extreme differences with which we all relate to the world around us. There is uniqueness of opportunities that are offered to us as a result of the place we are born. It’s not a good thing or a bad thing. It just is. And there are benefits and challenges where ever we live. Though people are curious about me here, it’s not in an aggressive way. It’s more, “I want to know more about you.” or “Where are you from? Tell me about your country.” I’m so happy that we are travelling with a computer that stores all our photographs. It is wonderful to share pictures of our children and home environment with the people here. It reminds us, practically, that we are really all the same. We all love our children. We have aging parents. We struggle to maintain homes. There are many in both countries who don’t have everything they need. We all die sometime.

Several people in Toronto warned us about the dire poverty in India. “Why would you want to go see so much dirt and poverty?” someone asked. I find myself continuing to let go of my western biases. Observing has been more helpful than judging. I find if I’m busy trying to understand, that I miss the real person. I’d rather bend down and listen to people. If I try to figure things out, I hold back. If I open up my heart I learn more. There is a lot of joy, even in poverty sometimes, and certainly an open caring culture. So far in Southern India we have seen no police officers clearing the streets of homelessness. There is an evidence of institutional support for the handicapped, the destitute and the poor. It’s not perfect. That’s for sure. But there is a lot of good going on. I have found my interactions with people very invigorating and enriching. I have learned so much about so many.

Life is not perfect. There are many people in need without the where withal to access help. But in general, Yoga is evident everywhere in the streets; patience, compassion, selfless service and love. Not a bad way to live after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment