Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Hotel Shikhur in Rishikesh

We have really settled in to our space in Rishikesh. We live in a simple room on the top floor of a small hotel on a main road. We have our own private balcony, and a comfortable bed. There is lots of water, both hot and cold. The spouts come out of the wall like a sink and so we have to fill a large bucket with water and take what we call a ‘bucket shower’. The idea of having hot water whenever we want has become a luxury. Who cares how it gets over our bodies.

Our daily rate is 250 rupees (about $6.00)

Directly across the street is a small restaurant called The Flying Tiger. An American woman from Chicago, Beverly, owns the place. She makes the best food! She calls it Yogi food and it is consistently great! Everything is cooked by gas, with one electrical plug, used exclusively for a kettle. Beverly makes really good coffee and the best chai in town! And…. she’s a great person. It is definitely a hang out. We are there every morning for breakfast and now she expects us and has my coffee all ready by the time we arrive!

There is a community of travellers who meet regularly too. We see the same people from time to time and place to place. There is a familiarity that is established that is very unique and special. We are making new friends with people from all over the world. Interesting conversations and some fun times happen regularly.

Our morning Satsang with Prem Baba is enriching and energizing. It begins at 10:30 with meditation and chanting. The energy starts calmly and allows for deep intraspection. Then Prem Baba shares his thoughts. There is something everyday that I find profound and beautiful. He is teaching me a lot.

The satsang concludes with about 45 minutes of music and dancing and more chanting. I find myself making up Hebrew chants to replace the Sanskrit messages which I don’t understand and, when I do understand them, they just don't move me. I have learned that Sanskrit, like Hebrew, is one of the ancient languages. I think there are many words that are similar between the two. For instace Om and Shalom, or Nemaha and Neshama. So I often translate the Sanskrit in to Hebrew and it becomes so much more meaningful for me. The chanting after satsang is so energetic and joyful with dancing and laughing with the group!

The afternoons Paul and I do various activities like strolling into temples and purchasing presents from local merchants. Yesterday we took a day trip into Haridwar to view the Harkipheiri Ghat. We travelled by local bus and walked to the ghat. We sat for the afternoon watching Hindus from all over India splash and play while immersing themselves in the holy water. They are such proud and humble people! Several of them came to sit with us and were eager to explain the practise. The people are so amazing!!!

We are looking forward to trekking into the mountains of the Himalayas. There are several temples and monuments and gorgeous waterfalls to explore.

We’ve discovered a couple of good Yoga classes and we’ve fallen in to a very comfortable routine in the evenings before our dinner. Paul even practises on his own sometimes. I usually prefer the encouragement of a teacher and the support of the community in a class. But I’m also open to practise with Paul on the roof of our house overlooking the city and the Ganges. Not too shabby!!!

There are Internet cafes right downstairs too. I know! I know! I really ought to be able to disconnect more. But, quite frankly, I love being able to feel close to my home of family and friends!

I get so many messages from people who are reading my blog. I so appreciate your love and your desire to know what’s going on. And I also love writing! How fabulous I feel to have the time and inspiration to do so. One of our children wrote to say that he couldn’t understand how I have so much time to have the adventures we’re having, and the time to write about them too.

2 comments:

  1. finally finally i find you!! and wow - what a find! the photos are WONDERFUL. And you remind me that the explorations of one of us helps the whole of us. love to you, Lynne

    ReplyDelete