Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Spiritual Mayan World- The Fire Ceremony


The Fire Ceremony in Mayan culture is one of the most important gatherings for spiritual expression and religious ritual. The symbol of fire represents light and amplifies our intentions and gifts. Mayan people believe that the divine lives in the fire. The fire ritual feeds and nurtures the divine as a living spirit. “Fire”, I have heard, “is not a symbol of God but is God herself."
 
Paul and I have heard about one elder Mayan Shaman, Tata Pedro, for many years from our friends, Clayton and Maalaa. He performs fire ceremonies regularly for the Mayan community living around the lake. He often invites visitors to participate. We were lucky this week to receive such an invitation!

I don’t know much about Mayan spirituality. I am learning more and more as I interact with the people on the streets, visit different villages and cities (Antigua), and read more about the numerous practices and rituals. One thing I do know about the fire ceremony, is that it is important to enter the event with an open mind and an embracing of the possibilities it offers. As our group walked quietly up into the mountains of San Marcos towards the ceremonial cave, I kept my mind and heart open to receive the experience as a personal and communal opportunity. I still have much to learn!

Preparation for the ceremony begins almost immediately as we all help unravel the ceremonial offerings from their carefully packaged wrappings. Wooden pieces of bark with the sweet smell of pine that still have the sticky sap on its sides are carefully placed in the centre of the fire pit, which is divided into four quadrants using streams of sugar. This accentuates the division for the four elements of our universe, as well as the four directions, east, north, south and west. There are many other interpretations for this division. I like the use of the cross here, which apparently is not a Christian influence, but an ancient Mayan one, symbolizing the central World Tree from which the four directions came.

There are piles of coloured candles (purple, white, yellow and red), each representing a different direction of the universe, placed in the alter. Then circles of sugar are collaboratively poured into each quadrant. Liquid incense oil, also poured into the altar, is intended to ‘please’ the Gods and help carry our thoughts and intentions to the appropriate spirit.

Finally small cakes of copal, (aromatic tree resin used as incense) are carefully piled in the centre and small coin-like pieces of the same are distributed to the participants of the ceremony.

Finally, after about 45 minutes of preparation, Tata Pedro leaves the circle to dress in traditional costume. Once he returns, he pours a licorice like liquid into the centre and proceeds to light the fire.
For the next 2 hours, he prays prostrated, lifts his arms to the universe, thanks the spirits, shares love, and asks for safety, health, abundance, world peace, happiness, and environmental safety.

I watch as many participants close their eyes, tensing their brows in spiritual immersion, and lose themselves in the spiritual presence. Tata Pedro’s intense communication with the spirit gods and his whole body engagement move me, and encourage me to let go of my need to understand, to come out of my head and open my heart to understand meaning. I am inspired to connect to the various sources of nature as we are invited to offer pine needles, branches, sugar, coloured candles, and more copal into the fire. Every so often the Shaman drizzles more liquid incense into the blaze.


We cover all of the 20 nawales of the calendar, each representing a different dimension of the natural world. I had discovered that my Mayan astrological symbol is called ‘Eish’ which is represented by the jaguar. With my birthday coming up this weekend, I want to find out more about that Nawale and learn more about where I fit in this ancient Mayan world.
 
Tata Pedro and one other participant continuously smoke a series of huge home rolled cigars. One participant even arrives to the ceremony smoking a cigarette, which I discover is considered perfectly okay. My friend who was visiting us at the time and participating, asks her to please put it out!  Who knew?! Tobacco is an important element of the ceremony as a force for potentiality. The smoke supposedly dissolves any negative energies that surround the experience.

By the end of the ceremony, the fire burns out, we gather remnants and make our way back down the mountain. I recognize that I still have so much to learn about the ritual. I am finding it a challenge to relate to Mayan spiritual practice, which, for me is surprising. I usually find my place in various practices and create meaning and significance in my own heart. I am looking forward to engaging in other fire ceremonies; learning more, and finding those meaningful connections. What a great introduction to the ritual, though! Thank you Tata Pedro!

No comments:

Post a Comment