Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Energy Spots


My formative years were in New York City. I grew up until the age of 14 in an apartment building in a dark, crowded, urban area of Queens.  I didn’t know much about trees, or flowers or gardens. We bought our cut flowers from the local florist if we had enough money.

In the summers I went to the beach. I revelled in those days, vigorously digging in the sand and fighting with the strong waves of the Atlantic Ocean. The beach was my favourite place.

Outside of Givat Ada, Israel
1970
I left New York early in my life, trusting my 14 year-old intuition about my need for nature, and my desire to escape the city. I convinced my parents to send me to a school in Israel where I could focus on graduating with American qualifications and concentrate on agriculture and community. I finished High School in a communal living environment, finding comfort in the daisies and pleasure cultivating cauliflower and cabbage. It was the beginning of my understanding of the natural world and my own relationship with it.

I am inspired by Nature! I suppose we all are, in fact. It’s just that some of us haven’t figured it out yet, I even think there are certain places in the world that emit more energy than others. I would guess that we each react to the energy spots in the world differently, depending on our own inclinations and our karmic connections.

I am realizing that there are places around the world where I feel strong pulls of energy. It’s not always related to Nature, but I would guess that Nature plays a role in the creation of the power that I feel.

I am 'here'. Sedona, Arizona
2011
While in Sedona, Arizona last year, we regularly heard about one of these energy spots being referred to as a vortex. I do believe that the energy of the universe (actual magnetic forces) gathers in certain spots of our world. I also have a strong sense of human energy in certain energy spots. For instance, years ago when our family went on our yearly trip to Ottawa we visited the Parliament Buildings. I marvelled while walking slowly through the building. I could feel the energy of years past. I could almost hear the echoes of (mostly) men’s voices through the halls and in the chambers.

Quite frankly, while in Sedona, I became a little annoyed at the abuse of the ideas of vortex spots. Tour promotions were created and sold as excursions to powerful vortex points. “Feel the feminine energy in this vortex,” I heard the tour guide suggest. Or, “This vortex emanates power and strength.”  I believe it’s a combination of the natural surroundings and the human energy at work there. Sometimes, the history of the human energy is known, and sometimes we’re not consciously aware of the energies that existed there.

Jerusalem, 2008
I am reading a novel right now by Maeve Binchy. Woven into the plot of the novel is a statue with mystical powers where people go to for help. While there, the energy from the statue along with the energies from the others who go there is realized. I get it!
For instance, Jerusalem draws me close. When I walk the streets of Jerusalem I am filled with spiritual energy that warms my essence and brings a smile to my soul. I want to sing. I feel grateful, and, I suppose, closer to God. I get more in touch with my self and ultimately with my surroundings. I love even more.

Have you ever been in a place where you felt empowered? A place, perhaps, where you could stay for hours and you just don’t know why? I remember as a teenage girl in Israel sitting in the middle of a field of daisies that grew just outside my school. It lay in between the school and the nearest village, Givat Ada, where we would walk to buy candies and treats. I often would sit in the middle of the field while my friends continued on their way. I waited for them to return. I was happy there. Just sitting.

I have been reading research that reinforces the importance of nature in our lives. Some articles have noted that people who are more in tune with their natural surroundings are happier, nicer and more communal. These people are more comfortable with diverse attitudes and spiritual pathways of thought. There is more emotional stability when one gets in touch with nature, and opens up to godliness.

San Pedro Volcano, Guatemala
I believe I am in a powerful place right now. The majestic volcanoes rise sturdily over the lake. They carry a message that I hear, although they are quiet and protective. The indigenous residents carry on with life, interacting with each other and with travellers. Some have a message to share too. The local shaman offers natural herbal remedies. Elders participate in a fire ceremony to heal a member of the community. Women carrying their fresh produce atop their heads, smile broadly as they offer their wares. The energy circulates.

I seek out natural places now as I get older and more in tune with my own needs for nature. Lake Atitlan is powerful and I am comfortable here. I am recognizing the peacefulness that I have within. I am quieter, and my thoughts seem to be more organized.

Our land on Gabriola is like that for me, too. Working with the earth and becoming familiar with the silhouette of the treetops is comforting. The natural space is empowering. I find myself immersed in the beauty of my surroundings and gathering its energies to find my own place inside. Native communities have populated that island too. Their energy is evident always.

I am enriched by my surroundings, and although I still need to reach out to others through my work and my interests, I also find satisfaction in the quiet of my own world.

Our front walkway in San Marcos-
yesterday!
I am learning to just be… finally. I am practicing the simple process of being in touch. It isn’t always easy, but I am finding, it is always worth it.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy. Your article really spoke to me. I am from Guatemala and have always felt a strong attraction and a positive energy about Atitlan. Seven years ago I moved to Florida and every time I saw Lake Atitlan I got emotional, I brushed it off as just being nostalgia because I missed home and missed my family but there was something specific about Atitlan that attracted me, pulled me. It wasn't until I visited Sedona a few months ago that I realized there was something out of the ordinary about Atitlan. For some reason Sedona reminded me of Atitlan and my connection with Sedona was so strong that I got emotional, just like I do when I see pictures of Atitltan. I could not shake the feeling, the certainty that they where somehow connected. It made sense to me that both places where considered sacred by ancient cultures, that both places have attracted a people who come from all over the world and just can not leave. It made sense to me that people where talking about vortexes and energy, although it annoyed me a bit too as I too thought it was being abused. Something else happened to me in Sedona: it was clear to me that I needed to be closer to nature. I could not get enough of hiking and walking and just being in contact with the land. I don't hike at all or even walk much for that matter but in Sedona I could not stop. I started thinking back and found some other places where I felt an almost religious experience and all of these places made me feel really connected with nature: the Candelaria Caves, Tikal and Semuc Champey in Guatemala. Strangely enough all of these places where considered sacred by the Mayan people. I decide to do a bit more research and I did a search for Atitltan, Sedona and energy and found all of these articles talking about vortexes and energy spots around the world. I am not ready to hop into a New Age bandwagon just yet but there is no question that I have felt this energy. I came across your article and loved it because I identify with the way you feel about nature. I think I am at a point in my life where I need change and I am feeling attracted to these places and making sense of this feeling and understanding that there is something to it and really opened my eyes to what I need to do. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete