Monday, November 28, 2011

Next Adventure!


I feel like a teenager again! My life is wide open and the possibilities of what I can do and where I can go are limitless!

We’ve packed up our house! Paul and I have rented our house for the year. We’ve taken off again on another adventure. This time our travels take us to Central America.

Our adventure begins in New York where we visit my mom for two days. We’re having a dinner evening with friends, and then we’ll make our way to JFK Airport for our one-way flight to Cancun.

We’ll remain in Mexico for two weeks, to attend a family wedding in Cancun. Rachel and Jeff’s decision to get married in Mexico inspired this trip. The celebrations are taking place in an all-inclusive resort, La Amada in Playa Mujeres. Avoiding the high costs of all-inclusive resorts, Paul and I found a quaint little bed and breakfast about 18 kilometres from the resort.

To our kids, who were also invited to the wedding, we offered room and board. They are each responsible for their travel arrangements. 4 of our 7 children opted in! So we’re having a mini reunion! Two from Vancouver, one from Montreal and one from Toronto will be there. What a blessing!

After our Cancun extravaganza, Paul and I expect to explore Palenque to immerse ourselves in the Mayan culture. Then we’ll make our way to Guatemala.

Guatemala is a mystery to me. From the media and from many people (who haven’t been there) I receive warnings. “Be very careful. It can be very dangerous in Guatemala” they say. From our friends who have been there, and there are several, we get, “Be careful, of course, and revel in the richness of the culture and the beauty of the surroundings. It’s a wonderland!” they say.

We have projects to look forward to when we’re there:

First of all, we are hoping to spend time with a child who we have been sponsoring for the past 5 years as an acknowledgement and an appreciation for the birth of our grandson, Oscar. We intend to visit Selvyn in a small village called, Asodisa. I am excited to make person-to-person contact with this child with whom we have been communicating and watching grow.

There is a school in Chajul, where I will be sharing my skills as a trainer of teachers. As I learn more Spanish while I am there, I am excited about working with the school in the village and learning from them about the Mayan culture. There the children are eager to participate, happy to engage with English speaking visitors and curious about what tourists have to share. Their weaving of Mayan culture and western world intrigues me.

Paul and I have also been connected to a small community in Guatemala City. There are 10 families there who have sought spiritual connection. After doing extensive research into various religions they have chosen to be Jewish! They are learning now; excited and enthusiastic about all there is to learn about Judaism. Already converted by a Reform Rabbi, they will be participating in their first Bar Mitzvah in November! Paul and I will be teaching the students about Judaism. I’m going to focus on helping the young people read Hebrew and understand Torah stories. Paul will engage musically. We will be living with various families when we’re there, and, both of us are so grateful for the opportunity to share with Casa Hillel!

I will try to learn Spanish while I’m in Guatemala. I would like to be fluent by the time I leave. And Yoga, of course, yoga…..from a different perspective and from a different culture.

There are so many possibilities for work, play and learning in the next few months, before returning to Canada. We have decided consciously to embark on an adventure into unknown territory and unknown lands. We try to make ourselves available to others however the universe grabs us and to respond in a way that reflects love, responsibility and wonderment in the world. We do so with a deep sense of curiosity, exploration and adventure. We look for time to just ‘be’ and let things unfold. It is all just a little bit scary…..and very, very exciting!

No comments:

Post a Comment