Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Leaving India

I am on my way back to Canada after my month in India. My time here has been incredibly rich and fulfilling and rewarding. I feel blessed; truly blessed for the opportunity to experience life the way I do!

As I pass through security I hand the officer behind the window, my information sheet that is necessary to fill in before leaving the country. I have left blank the line giving my address in India.

It is 2:00 am. I’ve been awake nearly 22 hours. I am tired, weary really, and not that anxious to be leaving India. I can’t remember the actual address of the Gurukala where I have been staying in Bangalore. The officer looks at me seriously. Please sign your name at the bottom.” he orders as he hands me his pen.

I immediately oblige, and, returning the pen I say, “Nice pen.” His eyes shift upwards to meet mine, his brow creases, and in a serious tone he says, “What is your address in India?”

“I have been staying in a Gurukala.” I respond.

“What’s the address?” He does not let up.

I struggle through my handbag to find my journal. Perhaps I had written Mah’s address there before I left. I turn the colourful pages that are filled with reflections of the past four weeks. I realize how much I have written and how hastily I recorded my ideas sometimes, in order to keep record of my thoughts, feelings and reflections. I get a bit lost in the pages, until I hear a stern clearing from the officer’s throat. I look up, defeated. I don’t have an address. I’m wondering if that would keep me in India for any undetermined time. Although I have never experienced corruption of any kind, I have heard stories, and I am tired enough and anxious enough to begin to be a bit concerned.

The officer clicks his tongue. He signs his sheet. My pen has fallen out of my journal in my rush to retrieve the address. Relieved to be moving on, I grab the pen from the desk as I say “thank you” and begin to move to the next security check.

“Is that your pen?” asks the officer. “Yes”, I answer.

“Nice pen.” He smiles. I smile too as I walk off, leaving India behind for another year.


No comments:

Post a Comment