Thursday, November 3, 2011

Leaving Bliss


I’m in a bus, passing through Tamil Nadu on my way to Karnataka. My journey in India is almost over for the year. I’m going to visit a friend in Bangalore before I make my way back to Canada.

It has been a perfect visit this year. I have had full rich days and have noticed the quiet in my soul. Here I don’t feel the complexities of life. I notice simplicity in my surroundings and in the world around me. I find joy in a simple smile and a sincere “good morning” greeting.

Sajee said, “So many people know you here.” It is true. I feel a part of the Fort Cochin neighbourhood. When I sit in a café drinking chai, people stop to say hello. I feel familiar…. at home.

Our Shanti Yoga community has strengthened. We have grown to love each other in a deep and special way. When I left, we shared tears. We all know we will never come together again in the same way. Life doesn’t stay the same. We move on. Each moment is now and now is all that really matters.

I suppose I have guided my path to live in this way. I have worked hard, created a strong reputable career, helped bring up 7 incredibly creative, generous and independent children. I have served my self, my family, and my community and worked hard to make our universe a better, kinder, healthier place. Now, I feel the desire to explore the world, to find people and places where my skills are wanted, and not easily found. I want to reach out to others in different cultures, and learn about others ways of thinking and living. I want to live in the ‘now’ and simply enjoy.

This month in India has given me the experience of just ‘being’. My life here has been rich. I have, as Robert Fulghum prescribes, “learned some and thought some and drew and painted and sang and danced and played and worked every day some.” I have marvelled and wondered at the world. I know my presence has affected change in others and I am different as a result of those that have been presented into my life.

I think, for the first time, I will be able to transfer this experience in to my every day life. I have discovered something grand about myself! I love life wherever I am! Some people think the “grass is always greener on the other side.” My challenge is seeing that the grass can be just as green on the other side. When I’m in India, I’m happy. When I’m on Gabriola, I feel great! In Toronto, I think it’s the greatest city! The challenge is leaving the place where I am. I am happy and satisfied wherever I am!

Leaving India is sad for me. There is comfort in the fact that I will be back again. I will never have the same experience I had this year. I can’t. It is over. There will be others. And I will continue to ‘be’ here…where ever that ‘here’ might be.

No comments:

Post a Comment