Monday, January 11, 2010

Leaving


We leave tonight. Paul and I know we are going on an adventure. Many of our friends say we're lucky! Many think we're absolutely crazy! Some tell us that they're jealous. "I wish I could do that" they say. I think we're just doing what we want and making it work in our lives. Our children are living on their own, away at school or creating their own journeys through travel. We feel confident in their abilities to make good in the world. Our dog, Charlie, passed away last year, and my mother moved back to the States. Paul and I both have work that can take us anywhere. In fact, we both have work that is coming with us to India. We are off today!

The last few days have been packed with good-byes and well wishes. We feel blessed to have so many people in our lives who love us and genuinely care.

Being in synagogue this past Shabbat was a reminder that I am protected and supported in my life no matter where I am. My community there embraces me and I feel the presence of God through that embrace. I have a sense that I am part of a larger universe. I am not alone. I am guided in my path and loved through the process.

I never really wanted to go to India. In fact, it was just a year ago, about the time when "Slum Dog Millionaire" came out, and I was also reading The White Tiger by Aravind Adiga. Having also read all of Rohinton Mistry's novels and heard from friends how crazy and hectic and corrupt India was, I thought, "Who would ever want to go to India?"

Then I saw a movie called The Pool at the Carlton Movie Theatre. It portrayed India as a lovely, peaceful place, and rich in landscape beauty and culture. I began to read more about the India of today. I read that the real India is mostly Hindu and Buddhists influences. Yoga, Ayruveda and meditation, form the basic foundation of the culture. Most of the people are calm, loving, and generous of spirit. I began to think of the Indian born people I know in Toronto, and I thought, "Yes...this makes more sense."

It reminds me of the Aboriginal communities in Canada and throughout North America. They too were doing just fine... thank you very much, until the Europeans came with the intention of changing the culture and making them more European. The uniqueness and beauty of Native culture was ignored as settlers tried to force the Native population to comply to ways that were unfamiliar and foreign to their life style. The change was forceful, hurtful, ultimately resulting in an angry, untrusting and confused people. The British did the same in India. The corruption, and misguided behaviours of many of the people, I think, is the result of that forceful intervention.

When Paul and I decided that we would no longer spend our Winters in Toronto, we began the process of working out how to manage enough work in Toronto and, also create work where ever we would travel.

This summer we played with the possibilities of Guatemala (Paul has a bit of history there and we also sponsor a child who lives there) , Mexico (our friends Sandy and Audrey are there this year), California (mostly to be with Jonathan, Vanessa, Stella and Oscar), Israel (another second home for us) or India (to go deeper into our Yoga practise and investigate a completely different culture) . While we were on Gabriola this summer, I met a man who runs several ESL Schools all over the world. It made me think! Thinking is good in this case. It turns out the school isn't doing as well as his other schools throughout the world. He needs help! So India it is!

We are certainly off for an adventure. Over the last 4 months we have created a plan of sorts. Our intention is to work, learn and volunteer in various parts of the country. We are connected with various organizations, friends, and communities both in the Buddhist and in the Jewish worlds. Paul will undoubtedly find musical opportunities in various places and I will participate by focussing on how Indian drumming differs technically from African, (which I've been practising for the last two years). We have work that goes with us, and we have friends waiting for us in cities, villages, ashrams and towns. We know where we will sleep the first night we arrive in Mumbai. And we know we'll be flying to Goa as our first step into India. Past that, we know nothing for certain.

We are excited for us, as I know many of you are too. We feel strongly connected to all of you. We feel safe and loved and protected. Please continue to stay in touch......




No comments:

Post a Comment