Saturday, January 23, 2010

Happy in Hampi







The morning started almost before the night ended. I hardly slept. There were many sounds during the night. I revelled in them all.

Voices from outside our door; quests having fun, talking, smoking, laughing, and engaged in deep meaningful conversations.

Loud shouting from men down by the river sounded like a raucous party and friendly gathering. Music, gently beating, sounded from the tent of the restaurant near by.

Dogs growled while playing aggressively with each other, sometimes finding a monkey to taunt and chase.

At about 4:00 in the morning I hear the chatter of children and their families bathing in the River. The sounds travel clearly over the short distance of river. Large crowds of men and separate crowds of women, each including the children from both genders. Bathing in the river becomes the start to their day.

Even at 4 I wanted to walk down to the river but I am warned regularly about walking alone, so I waited for Paul to wake up. At 7 we walked down to the river, found a comfortable rock, and sat to watch the sun rise.

I was eager to get over to the other side of Hampi this morning. The motorboat ride takes less than a minute in a packed boat. There is one boat that shuttles back and forth from 6:00 am until 6:00 pm.

The Hampi Bazaar is complete with ruins and remnants of ancient temples and monuments. Many of the structures are carved out of rock. Others are built from a pile up of various sizes and shapes of broken rocks. The entire area feels sacred. I felt energy deeply and a strong connection with others gathering there.

Here are 3 major experiences that enriched my day:

  • One of the temples carved out of stone had layers of entranceways. By the forth cave I could feel the vibration of the sounds within. Sounds were crisp and clear. Leita, Paul and I began a progressive chant that resounded through the cave walls. Our voices sounded perfect. I didn’t want to leave. I stayed behind for several minutes, seated comfortably, hidden in the darkness of the caves remembering the vibrations.
  • In the main temple Hindus were welcomed to receive a blessing. I observed from the background as others received a blessing. I felt comfortable as the Sadhu rang a bell, offered each person a spoonful of holy water which they passed over their heads and sipped from their palms. Each person cupped their hands over the burning candle and brought the light closer with their hands. It is the same gesture that I use when I light the Shabbat candles. The Hindu blessing ritual is completed with a gentle application of a pindi, a dot on one’s forehead right at the place of the third eye.
As I observed the routine, I felt overwhelmed by a feeling of community. Our separate language often creates boundaries for verbal conversation. Our clothing is noticeably different. The colour of our skin is different too. And yet, I felt a strong sense of sisterhood. We all pray. We all pray to God. Maybe we call the God by another name. Perhaps we even say different prayers in different ways, but the intent is the same. We are really the same. The thought made me cry.
The Sadhu noticed me there and gestured for me to be blessed. I felt a bit humbled. I told him that I had no rupees. He insisted it didn’t matter. He blessed me. I felt honoured. Holy water, burning candles, a touch of spice on the forehead.
  • On our way back we met a little girl named Nayha. Turns out she is 3 years old and is born exactly on the same day as our grandson, Oscar. I taught Nayha how to hug a tree. That’s a lesson every child all over the world can learn in the same way. It’s a lesson I try to share with my grandchildren. All trees speak the same language if we learn how to listen with our hearts.
  • Finally, I met Vishnu Laxmi. That’s the elephant we met as soon as we came to Hampi 3 days ago. She was having a bath then in the river. She is a really special elephant. She takes rupees from people and blesses them by touching their head. Both activities are done with her trunk. She and I became friends! It was funny. I just happened to be there when her master wasn’t, so Laxmi passed the rupees on to me instead. Laxmi is very much loved by her trainer. They have been together for 17 years!

Leita took off today and Paul and I are on our own again! Tomorrow we leave for Gokarna. A beach experience again! Yay!!!! I need to find a beautiful place to work!

No comments:

Post a Comment