Friday, January 15, 2010

India!!!!




The Iskcon Guest House is a Hare Krishna Ashram. If you’re a lifetime member, accommodations are ridiculously cheap. We aren’t lifetime members so we had to pay full price (about $55.00). The sounds of bells clapping and continuous chanting of Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna reminded me of the streets of New York in the 70’s. I think they were wearing the same gowns. Certainly they were chanting the same tunes. “Hare Krishna, Hare Krishna, Hare Hare, Hare Ruma.”
This morning I wandered into the temple. One man approached me as soon as I walked in and handed me a set of beads and a card on which was the Hare Krishna chant in several languages. He instructed me how to chant Hare Krishna by rubbing each bead as I chanted. I appreciated his instruction. I’ve never really known how to be a Hare Krishna follower. I decided I’d benefit more just by being myself. I sat cross-legged, facing the alter with my eyes closed. Holding the beads in both hands, I took some time to be quiet, close my eyes and meditate. The music from the harmonium and the beautiful voice of the leader and of the Krishna community embraced me.
In Hare Krishna land people greet each other by saying, “Hare Krishna”. I suppose it’s a little like saying “Shabbat Shalom”, or “Chag Samaech” while entering or leaving the shul. Paul was relieved I didn’t say either of those. But I did respond with a smile and a simple "Good morning”.
India is a barrage of sensory input. Taking pictures is one way of capturing the experience. The sounds and smells are as important if you really want to have a feel of what is happening. I can’t photograph smells and sounds. You’ll just have to imagine and I’ll just have to try to remember.
We flew yesterday south of Mumbai on Spicejet Airlines. Goa is a very large area of India. We took a taxi north, from Goa’s airport, to Arambol. A good friend of ours from Gabriola is living in Arombol and we wanted our first stop in India to be meeting up with her.
There are stoplights in India, and I’m sure that some people use them as suggestions. Most, however, don’t bother with laneways or any traffic laws that might make highway driving less frightening. Some signs along the road read, “Lane driving is Sane driving” or “Don’t be a hell mate, wear a helmet”, both humourous reminders for various vehicle users along the highway.
The place we are staying in has a mirror, a small unit with 3 shelves, a stool, a sink (with cold water only) and several nails hammered in around the walls. There is one naked bulb on the wall that sheds all the light for the room. Some of you might remember William Burrows’ dark and intense novel, the The Naked Lunch. I always wanted to sleep in a wild place with a naked light bulb. It makes perfect sense that it would happen in India.
I feel good tonight. There’s music playing outside. The breeze is coming through the open window. We are sleeping in our MEC sheets that Paul bought in case the sheets were not as clean as we might like them. I’m sleeping in mine tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment