Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Building Our 'Home'

We’re building a house!  It’s a group effort, really! Our friends Huguette and Mark are the builders. 
Before the Pour
They do everything. We try to help. Sometimes that means staying away! And sometimes we are invited to get our fingers into the process!

I knew this process was going to be a joy, when, the first time we talked about the house, Mark said to me, “When you’re drinking your coffee in the morning, and you’re all alone, what do you want to be looking at from your window?” The designing of the house has been the same ever since. We had regular meetings over the last year, with meals, drinks, casual and still formal, hashing out ideas and, together, implementing them into the design.

We watch as the footprint of our home becomes evident. First step is carefully deciding which trees need to be cut in order to create space. We approach this task with a great deal of care, having real conversations with each of the trees chosen, apologizing for disrupting their lives and promising to use them all, in some way, in the creation of our home. Stacked in anticipation of becoming our floors, ceilings and walls, the trees now are sitting comfortably drying and waiting to be prepared for such purpose.

The dig begins and what we find underground helps determine possibilities. Gabriola’s nickname, “The Rock” is obvious as we begin to make room. On that rock will exist our crawl space and our house is starting to emerge. With Paul and myself in India we leave the concrete pour completely to Huguette and Mark. We suggest placing tangible items in the concrete to include meaning and concepts that are less physical and just as important.

“Huummmm…. that’s interesting!” I think! I like this!

And so, I begin my journey of self-reflection. “What are the elements I want to embed in the structure of our home? What is important to us? What do we want to perpetuate, conceptually, in the world, even after our physical presence is no longer?

Tomorrow the concrete will be poured. The walls of our house will be erected and the foundation on which our shelter stands will be established. Along with the actual materials needed for a solid, stable structure, our house will also be built upon the following forces, each represented by a symbol for it’s meaning:

1-            A wooden spoon represents Family and Sustenance. Our family gathered most of the time in the kitchen. We made our food together, for the most part. Each child learned to cook in his/her own way and each one felt a sense of responsibility for our meals. Although I was generally ‘in charge’, everybody participated. I remember when I actually realized that. One day on our way home from school after picking up each of the kids, one of them got into the car and said. “What are we making for dinner tonight?” I knew then, that we had some good teamwork going on!

2-            A candle for light embodies our family’s weekly ritual for welcoming the Shabbat, providing for a day of rest, shedding light on our week to come and giving voice to the gratitude we all shared. Our Judaism is solidly based in the ideas of Tikkun Olam, repairing the Universe, and we tried hard to teach our children to live a conscious life where we are, in fact “our brothers’ and sisters’ keepers.

Included in the Concrete....
3-            One plastic earring-            One Sunday evening, my then 7 year old step daughter, Julia, comes running into the house after spending a weekend at her ‘other’ home. She had gone to garage sales that weekend and she excitedly came to our house with a present for me. Knowing how much I loved earrings, she had bought me a funky pair of rubber and plastic earrings made of turquoise and yellow, beige and black geometric shapes. I loved those earrings because of their simplicity and the complexity of its intention. May our house always be full of the gift of giving and the joy of receiving.

4-            A photograph of my oldest friend and myself represents long lasting friendships. I feel blessed to have so many special friendships in my life. Sustaining communication is sometime challenging and the benefits are so worth the task! May our house be filled with friendships…all kinds…. new and long time ones, and may the people who live in our house never feel alone!

5-            I’ve represented Love with a handkerchief!  My husband, Paul is the only person I know of my generation who still uses a handkerchief every day! May our new house be filled always with the kind of love that Paul and I share. May on-going communication, thoughtfulness, understanding, and passion thrive here, and may the occupants continue to dream big always.

6-            The Sanskrit symbol of “ohm” is the primordial sound that vibrates through our bodies when we chant. It is the visual representation of universal wholeness and a reminder of the worldly possibilities. For me, it is “home” unencumbered by walls and roofs and a reminder of the boundlessness in one’s own potential. I pray that anyone who enters this house will feel at “home’ within.

And may it all be so…

No comments:

Post a Comment