Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Off The Grid on Karuna Farm


I am in the heavens and I feel like I’m in heaven! Perched on the tip of “The Rock”, a huge bolder nestled in the lush green mountains of Karuna Farm, I am surrounded by the world. Around me, the hills of KodaiKanal embrace. I feel completely at ease, despite the high elevation and the intrinsic fear of falling.

We have chosen to spend a few days in an eco village here in Tamil Nadu. Acres of land spanning miles of mountain comprise the farm area. From the rock I can see lush growth of trees, various fruits, nuts, coffee, and hundreds of varieties of flowers and small buds. An effort to grow vegetables is evident in several sections of the hills, and the brown patches peaking through the green growth, shows healthy signs of fertile soil. The farm strives to be self-sufficient and relies exclusively on organic farming methods.

Little villas, each sitting alone on various spots behind me, offer home to travellers, many of whom find their way here, as we did, through word of mouth from others.

Rubber Made House
Inspired by a young Israeli, Alex Lior, the small community of consistent residents here work together to provide a place with absolute self-sufficiency. The ‘Earthship’, the house that Alex built for himself, is an incredibly innovative creation of  Nature’s ultimate co-operation with humankind. Supported and insulated by rubber, and covered with mud plaster, the circular structure (almost yurtlike) is powered strictly by solar energy. Inside is anything a modern westerner could ask for. And it sits in the hills, surrounded by the trees and the active wild life that live here.

Monkeys are KodaiKanal’s racoons, pesky creatures that boldly enter homes in search of food. During the day, I hear the constant cry from the older Indian woman who lives nearby, shooing away the monkeys and encouraging them to find their sustenance somewhere else. It doesn’t help! And I have come to anticipate and enjoy her cries.

The birds encircle me. There are all kinds, evidenced by the many sounds. I can easily tune in to the diversity of sound and appreciate the combination of rhythmic melodies. Some times I can even discriminate specific calls. They have become familiar to me during my time in India. I have become an observer.

sunrise over the valley
Below me (and that’s pretty far down) sporadically dispersed across the valley and along the mountainsides, are small villages. They can be seen even more clearly at night, when the lights from their homes can be seen shining through the darkness of the night. Music from the villages plays almost constantly and I hear it clearly because there is no interference.

We are definitely living off the grid here. There is no Internet, no cell phone coverage, and, other than an emergency land line, no access to the outside world. I think that’s my biggest challenge because I like having regular access to my wonderful, amazing children. For 4 days, however, I can do this. So can they! Our trip in here from the local town took 25 minutes down rocky, winding dirt roads. Only a 4-wheel drive jeep can make it through. It could be anywhere in the world. But it is right here in Tamil Nadu.

I find myself struggling a little bit with the calm and lack of distraction. I welcome the opportunity to be self…my self! I am trying to not think so much and to allow myself more fully to experience the moment. That means just to ‘be’ and to avoid judging or forming opinions as I live. I am finding when I do that there is so much more in the universe to experience, because things and people and places just become. They become just anything…not good or bad, not difficult or loud, not beautiful or expansive, not beautiful or smart. It just becomes, and that’s it! Recently a friend said to me “I don’t want to be a human being. I want to be a human becoming.” Me too! Sitting on this rock helps me become and gives me practise for making that happen more often in my life.

 









No comments:

Post a Comment