Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Blissed

Arunachala

I am a little bit in a state of bliss! I’m riding down the main road in Thiruvanammali. It’s early morning. The sun is settling in for the day. There is a rumble in the streets. People are gathering for chai at the popular chai dhabba. Devotees stream in and out of the Sri Ramana Ashram. Chanting is taking place now and it is very popular time of day to attend. I am feeling absolutely wonderful. As I ride, I acknowledge how good I feel. I don’t know why. I just feel great! 

Thiru presents as somewhat of a magical place, although it doesn’t necessarily come easily. Arunachala Mountain is awesome and when I tune in to its presence I am able to tune into my own strength. The mountain affects the spiritual energy of the entire town of Thiru. It’s a bit like, Rishikesh in its’ intensity. However the mountain creates a more stable solid presence than the flowing movement of the Ganges which is the source of spiritual energy there.

Most of today we spend with Anand at his place, just talking. Beginning with early morning Yoga led by Krika, a visitor from Italy, the powerful connection with the mountain Arunachala ensues. I am reminded of my intense relationship with San Pedro in Guatemala. Again I feel the warm, embracing energy of the mountain’s message.
Waiting for the milking session


We arrive on bicycle, peddling through the small village off the main road. Cows, just waking from their night time sleep, line the small pathway waiting to be milked. Each household has at least one member of the family perched on a stool, releasing the milk for each cow. The roosters walk helter skelter on the dirt surface. Old men squat on the side of the pathway, brushing their teeth and scrubbing the sleep from their bodies. It is morning, and the quiet is loud. 

We met Anand through our friend, Sajee. He lives at the foot of Arunachala Mountain on a few acres of land with his wife, Giathri and their two sons. Their intention is to sustain independent living by growing food on the land, keeping dairy cows, growing native fruit trees and providing a beautiful space for creative expression. Small bamboo huts around the compound provide place to welcome visitors who chose to stay. Many do! Solid floors with a mattress placed on the ground and a mosquito net for protection keep the accommodations simple and adequate. Many people seeking peaceful existence come for long periods of time. Everyone who stays contributes to the everyday responsibilities of the household. Anand makes it clear, “There are those that are just meant to be here. That’s when they appear.” It is, for me, an ideal existence. Paul and I are already starting to plan an extended stay with Anand and Arunachala.


After a breakfast of black coffee and fresh fruit (papaya from his trees), Anand talks about life, about being here and now, about releasing ego, and about allowing ourselves to just ‘be’. He refers to his transition from trying to change the world to ‘trying to change his world. Those are not his words, actually. They’re mine! I, too work at that transition. Anand seems to know that about me too. I revel in our conversation. His intuitive acuity is mind-blowing, as his comments to each of us are so precise and so right on.

playful morning

We find a guitar so Paul is able to play. His beautiful song ‘We’ll Know’ is received with joyful appreciation. “You wrote that song just to sing it here”, say Anand. I think he’s right. I’ve sung that song hundreds of times with Paul, and the experience of singing it here, in the presence of Arunachala and embraced by our new friends in Thiru is profound. 


Meeting Anand and Giathri has enriched my visit to Thiru. I do get the vibe of spiritual energy and grounding by having the opportunity to sit quietly in Nature and absorb the Mountain’s presence. I leave the city today with purpose and intention to return and a pure feeling of bliss!

Cleaning up from yesterday

No comments:

Post a Comment