Sunday, February 19, 2012

Wayeb Fire Ceremony or Shabbat Shalom



“Shabbat Shalom” says Paul, as he leans over to kiss my cheek. Tonight, it is not Shabbat candles we are lighting to bring in the Shabbat, but an enormous communal ceremonial sacred fire to welcome the beginning of Wayeb, an ancient Mayan ritual that honours the “five missing days” of the solar calendar.

 In the Mayan Solar Year there are 18 months of 20 days, which total 360 days. During the 5 days in between, Mayan rituals are practiced. This time is called the "nameless days" or "time out of time". They make up the ‘5 missing days’ of the calendar.

There is a renewed universal effort to promote awareness about Mayan civilization. An attempt to teach Mayan philosophy and practice is evident, as the people gather together to share ritual and ceremony. It is rich! I feel very blessed to be available for the many ceremonies and practices here in Guatemala, the home of the largest Mayan population in the world.

The fire is a sacred element that connects us to the holy being. I must say, it has been a challenge for me to understand that concept. I realize this time, my third fire ceremony experience, that I don’t need to understand. We are sharing traditions and I am learning about other peoples’ spiritual expression. I become absorbed in the practice and open up to appreciate what is happening for me.

I am recognizing similarities. Ahau (pronounce achow) is the Mayan word for the almighty God. I am startled by it’s sound as I hear it declared in the ceremonial prayer. It sounds just like our name for God, Yaheweh, which is often translated as “He/She Brings Into Existence Whatever Exists". I am again reminded of the term, Namaste, the Sanskrit word of salutation and prayer, meaning, "I salute or recognize your presence or existence in society and the universe." All of these are forms of the same; a spiritual honouring of the divine above and within each one of us.

As we enter the sacred fire space, we are individually blessed with the scented smoke. An elder, swinging a censer covers each of our bodies with smoke, welcoming each individual into the ceremony and offering support and guidance if necessary. I smile with familiarity. Each opportunity I have had to participate in learning and prayer with various Native American communities begins with the Smudging Ceremony. It is a way to separate ourselves from the world outside, and symbolically enter in to the sacred space of learning, prayer and God. It is what I do each Friday night when I light the Shabbat candles with family and friends around, and, circling my arms towards the light 3 times, I bring the warmth and glow of the flames towards my head and heart, and, cover my eyes with my hands. I welcome the end of another workweek…Shabbat evening.

The words shared during the Fire Ceremony are often intended to give thanks to our ancestral heritage and to gather knowledge. Elders, young children, and everyone in between, are welcome to participate fully. L’dor va dor…from generation to generation! Encouragement to pray in ones’ own language and in ones’ own way, reinforces the oneness of our spiritual being. We are returning to Nature. It is there for all of us, and we are invited to celebrate her, alone and together.

Wayeb is a Rosh Hashana for the Mayan people. It commemorates the completion of the 18 months. The 5 days of Wayeb is an occasion to give thanks and to ask for forgiveness for any wrong doings during the previous year. The final day is a last opportunity to find grace in God’s light and to receive blessing for the year ahead. Gmar Chatima Tova to all the Mayan people and (kol yoshvah tavail) to all those around the world!





No comments:

Post a Comment