Saturday, February 18, 2012

Reflections on a Sunny Friday Morning


I’ve been thinking again! Uh oh!

Paul and I have begun to plan our trip out of Guatemala and back to North America. Life is so rich here and there are so many thoughts that come up as I begin to prepare to leave.

Cultures, peoples, civilizations are all different. They’re not good or bad. They’re not rich or poor. They just are! And they exist in their own way; different perhaps from mine, but in a way that works well for them. There are so many things that surprise me and make me question the way things are done here. Often I have to stop to remind myself that they don’t need me, or the likes of me. They exist. They’re fine. Maybe they would like colour television or multiple computers, or a big fancy car. That’s because of what they see in western civilization. Left unto themselves, most people here are happy and healthy and with the support of others in the community are able to subsist. I am reading a book right now called Solacers by Arion Golmakani. A memoir, about orphaned child in Iran, it is a beautiful story of an incredibly challenged existence that develops into an appreciation and gratitude for his world and the people who contribute to his growth and resiliency. In it, he says, ”we are all waters of the same ocean separated only by a physical bottle called the body.” I believe that, and I’m driven by that idea and the desire to understand and act on the concept of fairness.
I am completely enthralled with the contribution my surroundings have to my own strength and integrity. As I meditate I am aware of the awesome mountains and lively volcanoes that embrace me. The lake is calm and very solid and the sky changes constantly during the day.  Bright blue sky scattered with clouds that are sometimes white, sometimes grey. The sky is always present.  The change in weather is unpredictable. Although the days are often sunny with clear skies, nights sometimes offer thundershowers and very cool breezes.

The natural growth around me is beautiful, varied, strong, provisional and supportive. I have become mindful about making connections between my natural surroundings and myself and mindfully bringing the light from outside within, and my own light from inside, out.

I ponder the idea of work. I feel useful here and valued and valuable. I’m working. I’m playing. I’m sharing the skills that I have, and love the connection I have with the community. I’m also reaching out to other communities. I am blessed, no doubt. I wish for others to have the same.
At the same time, I remind myself to be aware of my own biases, and to withhold judgement. My western values are engrained in my consciousness and I am realizing that they are not always valuable to others.  For me, I am learning to expand and celebrate other ways of being. Is our model of labouring all day and being obsessed with our work and materialism and relentless economic growth really ‘the way’? I can’t help but notice the pleasant and happy family life that exists here, the focus on time together, and the co-operative efforts to survive together through life’s challenges. We think of it sometimes, as poverty. But I’m not sure! ‘Poor’ for me, is people who have no time for fun, or creative expression, and who are too pre-occupied with work to take the time to be with family and develop and strengthen ties of friendship and companionship. I am much more comfortable here than in the rat race that I sometimes find myself involved in Canada.

Nothing is perfect! In Guatemala, there is so much that needs to be addressed. Health issues, road construction and sewage issues, communication backwardness and too little emphasis on education are all areas that could be improved if there was leadership attention given.  Crime (especially in the cities), lack of public education, adequate food supply to feed the population, job creation are areas that are being addressed by outside individuals and NGOs.We are making a scratch on the surface, and there's need for more intentional infrastructure to maintain and sustain the work that the outside world is doing here.

It’s worth it! The Mayan culture thrives here. It is strong. It has a deep, rich history that adds value to our world as a universal people. There is a friendly, loving, joyful and spiritual mentality here that dominates and is worth celebrating! I just feel so comfortable living here!










5 comments:

  1. Dear Amy

    Someone emailed your page for me to read. You must be an old soul, for it is often the old souls that are enlightened and with wisdom.

    Sincerely,
    Arion Golmakani

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Arion! Welcome, welcome to my blog. I love that you're here! Old? Not old....just getting older! And loving it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy. By "old" I was referring only to the content of the bottle and not the bottle itself.:)
      I am working on a novel called "In and out of the cave," a take on Plato's Allegory of the Cave. The story follows a "soul," through various lives as it matures and gains wisdom. So please forgive me. My "old Soul" remark was meant as a compliment, influenced by my deep involvement with the character of this new novel.

      Delete
  3. I think you must read Many Lives, Many Masters by Brian Weiss! And, don't worry, I wasn't REALLY offended!

    ReplyDelete