Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Underwater in Cancun


I am a certified scuba diver. That means that I took the course that teaches me what to do in case of emergency when I am scuba diving. Usually when Paul and I travel, we try to scuba dive at least once. It’s been a while since we’ve gone. We hope to get some scuba in during our trip.

Snorkelling is just as good in Mexico. Paul and I and three of our kids got on an early bus to Akumal. There is a beautiful beach there and snorkelling equipment for rent. We gathered some gear to venture out into the ocean. There was promise of colourful and interesting coral structures, all sorts of fish and giant turtles.

I am happy floating around in the underwater world. For me it’s a way to experience our world in another way. There’s such life going on in places where I am so unfamiliar. I excite at the gentle movement of the leaves and the presence of the coral on the ocean floor. It’s an underwater breeze that causes the motion, a breeze that I don’t understand, and a breeze that is constant. - it never ceases. The sounds underwater are muffled and clear all at the same time. I can hear my own breathing and, if I make small sounds, it is as if I am the sound.

The various fish are home here. They know where to find sustenance. They travel together, and sometimes alone. They remain aware to stay safe from predators and struggle to gather what they need to survive. I wonder why we call groups of fish ‘schools’ and I feel awkwardly comfortable knowing that they do.

During my floating time, I saw several of those turtles. They are gigantic with colours in soft natural shades of brown, beige, green and tan. The few with whom I made contact had surprisingly big eyes. They saw me I’m sure, even though I am very careful to swim with as little movement as possible. The last time Paul and I were in Mexico, we spent several days with Jorge who taught me to swim inconspicuously. I like that. I am in an others’ world. I want to observe but I don’t want to affect any change for them. I am a visitor in their domain.

After our snorkelling and a scrumptious lunch of burritos and beer, we hopped another bus further west to Tulum. There we visited a giant cenote. We arrived just as the sun was setting and the air was becoming cool. A cenote is an enclosed pool of fresh, spring fed water, surrounded by surrealistic looking stalactites and stalagmites.

I love swimming in the fresh waters, navigating my way through the natural caves. With the evening approaching, bats are waking. Intently flying around and preparing for their awake time, it is exciting to be there during their activity. I remembered reading a novel when I was young. The heroine of the story was attacked by bats that flew into her hair. I wasn’t really frightened, but I sure am relieved that it didn’t happen to me.

Swimming in the cool fresh waters is invigorating. As the darkness falls, I carefully follow the lights of a group of scuba divers until they swim so far into the underwater caves that I’m afraid I’ll not find my way out. It is dark. The waters are calm and silent as I manoeuvre my way to land. Small turtles are doing the same.

The waters in Mexico are special. The colours are brilliant and the feel of the warm waves on my skin is healing. Soon we will be away from the ocean, heading inland.

No comments:

Post a Comment