Monday, February 14, 2011

Svetlana


Svetlana was 6 years old when she and her mother and father arrived to Canada from Russia. Her parents, Ludmilla and Rudy both had careers in Russia as engineers. Though life was manageable there, they chose to come to Canada for religious freedom and economic growth. Svetlana was going in to grade 1.

It was 1981. I had been teaching for 2 years. I knew I still had a lot to learn, but my Principal at the time believed in me, guided me, and encouraged me enough to make me believe that I was doing okay.

I remember going in to his office regularly in tears. “I’m not good enough for those kids.” I would cry. “They’re not getting enough from me.”

“You’re a great teacher,” he would say, “love yourself enough to know that. These are your first years of teaching. You’ll get better and better.”

“Yeah, but what about those poor students?" Why should they suffer because it’s my first years?”

That year I decided to refrain from sending my non-English speaking students to an ESL class. I made sure, instead, to provide regular opportunity for all my students to speak together in the classroom and practise English with in the regular activities that took place together. Svetlana was in that class!

That year, I stopped using the Basil readers as the primary reading source. I did away with ability based grouping. Every 3 weeks I walked to the public library. I gathered picture books and carried them back to the classroom. Each day I would close the door to my classroom (so no one would see) and ‘play’ with books. I would get on the floor with the kids, cuddle sometimes, lie flat on my belly sometimes, or gather a group together to read. Loving books was the focus. Svetlana was part of that play!

It was the year I realized the difference between teaching curriculum and teaching kids. I began to understand the benefits of creating time for kids to play with their environment and to explore the world around them. I recognized the power they gained from connecting with others through that discovery. And I realized the joy that I got from connecting with each of them every day!

It was the year that I really began to love teaching! I continue to explore these ideas, and my learning continues to be fine-tuned. But that was the year it began. Svetlana was one of my teachers!

That year Svetlana and her parents came to our house for the Passover seder. She had told me that she had never been to a seder before. By then, Mila and Rudy were pregnant with their 2nd child. Our relationship was just beginning.

I never imagined then, that I would be attending Sveta’s wedding 30 years later. Or that I would regularly hear her words of love for me and her gratitude for that, her first experience in school. I never thought that her ability to persevere in all areas, and her innate aptitude for mathematical computation and her uncanny balance between arts and sciences would eventually translate to a PhD in molecular biology and a full career in Scientific research.

And I never ever believed that I would be hanging out at the beach, visiting the zoo and sharing adventures in San Diego with her and her family today. Firman and Sveta have been married for 6 years now. He seems to be the love her life. They have 3 children, Lia, Sam and Ana, all of whom are under 5 years old. All of whom have embraced us into their home....into their lives. It is natural and comfortable. The connections we have with her children are strong.


I am fortunate in my life. I chose a career, early, that was right for me. I worked hard at improving in my practise and loved the journey every step of the way. I made many mistakes. And I made so many friends. I am so much richer with each of them. I have Sveta in my life!

“Thank you for believing that I was okay. Thank you for giving me the chance to learn.” Sveta has said to me lately.

Thank you too, my dear Svetlana, for giving me the same….and so much more! You are a treasure in my life!


2 comments:

  1. Very nice and touching. Being a teacher you touched so many lives!! Beautiful.

    Looks like you are having a lot of fun on this trip. When are you heading back home?

    Did you know that this year we have TWO months of Adar (Alef and Beth) since year 5771 is a leap year?

    Cheers, Erich.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i cherish still bed and breakfast folks i met 35 years ago
    we still connect and we continue to share
    it is wondrous how opportunity can grace us as we reach out and touch others

    ReplyDelete