Friday, February 4, 2011

Balancing Life


Today’s thoughts are a lot about balance. We’ve been travelling now for almost 4 weeks. Our adventures have been numerous and I have ample opportunity to reconnect with Nature after immersing myself in workshops and classrooms during the month of December. It was a busy time! These last few weeks have been a welcome break!

January we drove across the entire United States arriving finally in Los Angeles. Our son Jonathan, daughter-in-law, Vanessa and our two fantastic grandchildren, Oscar (4) and Stella (7) live here. We are settling in with them for a few weeks. We make dinners, read books, go for walks, and take the children to their schools in the morning. There are skating lessons, violin practise, karate, and gymnastics. There are books to read together and toys and games to play, and conversation that can only happen between us. Grandchildren are very special people!

It was Stella's birthday this week too! We were able to celebrate together!

There is work here too. Today I had a meeting at one of the schools in the area. The Principal is eager to provide professional development that focuses on character education. He wants to enhance positive interactions amongst students and teachers and enrich the learning environment for students. The school, grades kindergarten to five is a friendly community school. I am excited about the opportunity to work with them. I’m feeling eager to get back to my work.

I remember a Yoga colleague of mine, Jacqueline, from several years ago. It was during a time in my life when I was working long hours, daily and had very little time for leisure and relaxation. After a late evening practise she and I were talking. She’s a professional photographer and we were talking about our work. “Do you work every day?” I asked her, curious about the successes working her art to make money. With a slight blowing out of one side of her mouth, she responded with, “No way!”

That was a new beginning for me. I began to consider alternatives to the hectic, often, crazy days that I had been obsessed with work. Restructuring the way I think about money and responsibility and recognizing that I can have it all led me to change the way I live. Balance…..regular work, some play, quiet time, oppprtunities for adventure, laughter and calm. I think I’m finally getting it!


No comments:

Post a Comment