Friday, November 26, 2010

Gratitude



I have been blessed with a spiritual family. Sajee, a Yoga master, his wife Aji, daughter, Vinaya, son Taku, and mother, Suleka, who I call Ama. My stay in Fort Cochin is enriched forever because of the new friendships I have developed with each of them.


Taku is 15 years old. Tall, slim, smiling and quiet, Taku is very talented, and though he doesn’t say much in words, his character is strong and confident. During my visit this month Taku began guitar playing. At first learning songs from the Internet, he sat for hours at a time replaying pop songs and practising until they sounded the way the original artists meant them to sound. Any time I was at their house, Taku was strumming. His music filled the sound space. His sister, Vinaya, proudly says, “Taku is very talented. He plays football, all kinds of sports. He plays music and he’s very smart in school.” Her admiration and love for her brother is beautiful.
Vinaya is 12. She and I had many adventures together. Riding our bicycles through Fort Cochin, we carried out chores, ate lots of ice cream and talked to many people while walking along the beach. Vinaya and I visited the Jewish synagogue in Jew town. It was the first time she had ever heard of Judaism. In the same trip we went to a Jain Temple, another religion she had not known of. It was exciting for me to take Vinaya to places in her own hometown that she had never seen before. I think there were days that we actually tired each other out. Vinaya was a wonderful companion, sharing the simple joys of Fort Cochin!

Amma, is one of my Indian spiritual mothers. Crouching in the corner of her little room, I would find her engaged in prayer and occupied in her own communication with God. The melodic chanting and the eventual sound of the bell, indicating final prayer reminds me to connect to my own God, or, at the very least, my own Godliness. Carefully and lovingly preparing satvik meals for breakfast and dinners sustained me after each yoga practise. Delicious, nourishing and energizing I regularly wonder how she has so much patience to instruct the many soux chefs who try to learn the art of satvik cuisine in her kitchen.
Aji reminds me about my own quest for balance in daily life. She is so pleasantly real and full of love for life. Her strength, like a lion protecting her cubs, is mixed with compassion, understanding, and dedication. Working hard outside the home, she still makes time for others. My Indian wedding experience was enhanced because of Aji’s attentive presence during the entire day and, especially, wearing her sari for the occasion. I think Aji was as excited as I was getting dressed for the wedding, and I never would have been able to get dressed without her! We had such a great time together in Ernakulum where I bought Indian fabric so that she could make me a salwer. What a talented and smart woman!

Sajee, dear Sajee! He is my teacher, my friend, and my spiritual brother. My life is so enriched since he has become a part of me! I learn so much about ahimsa, compassionate living, unconditional love, and unity…Yoga. His strong positive energy, ability to teach others, and openness to listen and share have filled my days with richness. We spent wonderful hours talking together. All I would have to do is call on his cell phone. “Sajee? How ya’ doing?” I would innocently inquire.
“Where are you?” he would reply. “I’m sitting at the beach, just watching the water.”
“I’ll be there in a few minutes.” He would inevitably say.
And he was! The hours of conversation we spent together were often profound. And then there were often times of long silences. Whether it was conversation or periods of quiet, most of my time with Sajee, was profound and rich. I will remember his melodic instruction in Yoga and his unique, gentle and loving guidance in meditation. Sajee is, for me, a great Master!
My month is finished in Fort Cochin. My body hurts still sometimes, but my spirit, my psyche and my heart are healthy and full. Thank you to my spirit family. I can’t wait to see you again soon!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment