Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Transitioning to Home

We’re home. We landed in Toronto mid afternoon last Wednesday. Home is the place where I find safety and comfort. It is a place where I come to rest. It is e where I find beauty, and love finds me. Home is where I just get to be.

I am reminded about how many times over the last couple of months I have felt at home. There has been a familiarity about my surroundings that has been comfortable. I have felt in sync with the people and comfortable communicating and interacting, despite the language barriers. I have deepened my understanding of my own spirituality and how it fits in this world. And I have broadened my capacity to make sense of cultural differences and distinctive practises. I feel solid in my primary relationship with myself and also with my life partner. And I feel strong in my own personal direction.

When we arrived from the airport on Wednesday our children who live in Toronto crowded us with their energy and love. Friends and other family members sent words of welcome and sentiments of joy that we had returned. Our spiritual community was eager to reintegrate our presence back into the group. My working relationships showered me with messages of happiness about my return. We feel loved, and welcomed and full here.

Last night my dad visited me in a dream. He wanted to be with us and we were making the appropriate arrangements to bring him here so he could stay with us. “It will be so good for him.” I said. “He’ll be with people who love him and those that make him feel wanted and welcome.” In the dream it was simple to organize the caretakers who would be there to help him, the family members who could provide loving and caring company, and medical support in case the need was there. We wanted him there with us, because he wanted it too. And we made sure to make it happen.

I have come to learn that real home comes with me wherever I roam. That is what I want to remember. India may be miles away geographically, but what it has given to me cannot be left behind. When I think about that I realize that home is within me always.


No comments:

Post a Comment