Thursday, March 4, 2010

Guru Swami Shyam


The village where Paul and I have been staying is called Ghandi Nagar. The main feature of this Himalayan village is the comfortable mix of Indian and western population. The friendly and cooperative living situation is facilitated by the presence of Guru Swami Shyam and his followers. For the past 40 years he and his devotees have inhabited a large section of the village. All residents appreciate the ashram community and all co- exist with support and respect for each other.

Swami Shyam is a Guru in the true sense of the word. He is an Indian Native from Kanpur who realized his gift about 40 years ago. At that time, he travelled around the world sharing his intellect and spirit, attracting followers who became enthralled with his informal and regular teachings. His visit to Canada in 1970 resulted in a large population of Canadian born youth following him wherever he went. Through his guidance they sought deeper insight in to self as well as a meaningful spiritual connection. They followed him to India where the IMI Ashram (International Meditation Institute) was founded.

I have heard about Swamiji for many years. Several of my friends have been devotees of his and either lived in Kullu or regularly visit here. I have read some of his teachings, heard his music, and seen many pictures. Still, I did not know what to expect. My concept of Guru is probably way different from that of most people. I tend to love people regardless of how famous they might be. I love though; I don’t revere. Famous people are no more deserving of love and respect than strangers I meet. It is not the least bit interesting for me to meet someone famous just to shake his/her hand. If, on the other hand, I get to meet someone, spend time and conversation with opportunity share each other’s thoughts and ideas…. that’s something else!

Our time with Swami Shyam has been amazing! At our first official meeting he welcomed us publically and repeatedly in front of his audience. We left that first satsang feeling inspired and completely included by Swami and by his community of devotees. After that first satsang, he invited us to tea where he shared more teachings with just 10 selected people. Paul and I became the reason for a gathering and were showered with attention from the Guru and his devotees. We joked with each other some, and then, as the tea was finishing, we hugged and laughed together. The others at the tea were flabbergasted! Apparently, Swami Shyam does not hug! I really felt a very personal connection with him. Even though when he speaks it is from an intellectual, not personal perspective, I felt a personal sense of understanding between us.

We went to satsang every day. Sometimes there were some really motivating words that Swami spoke. He would speak, sometimes for hours, and his followers sat silently, listening to every word with anticipation and overwhelming expectation and love. I learned a great deal from listening to Swamiji. And sometimes he spoke way beyond my realm of understanding. It amazed me to see his followers listening, many with mouths dropping, nodding heads in agreement, with their eyes sparkling in absolute awe. And I didn’t even get it!

This morning was supposed to be our last morning in Kullu. Beth walked quietly in to our room before 7:30 to let us know that Swamiji called to invite us out for breakfast. “Get in a car”, he said, “and meet me at The Span Resort.”

Within 20 minutes we were out the door in a hired car driving towards Manali. We arrived at the resort where Swamiji and 4 other people were waiting. We had breakfast and Swami was still in his ‘satsang’ mode, but it was intimate and personal and gave us an opportunity to know each other more. he spoke to us about attachments and meditation and oneness.

Paul and I had bought Swami a bell as a gift of gratitude. The bell is a reminder of the unstruck sounds; those ideas and realizations that we strive for in our lives. The inner voices that we each have, the discovery of self through the loud sounds of silence through meditation. And as part of my presentation of the gift I showed Swami that I also bought a bell for myself that I intend to use in my teaching. And that every time I hear it I will think about him. “I hope you will also remember us”, I said to him. No doubt he will…even at 86 he is sharp, perceptive, very smart and intuitive. And there is no doubt, he has grown to love us both!

After breakfast the rains began in earnest. We drove back to Kullu feeling a bit euphoric. I was thinking about not going to our final satsang. Paul convinced me to go. I did so reluctantly. It was cold and rainy. I was tired and cranky and I I realized we might not be going into the mountains. But I went anyway.

It was an experience I’m so glad I didn’t miss! At the end of the satsang, Swamiji called us both up to the stage. He presented each of us with a shawl as a gift from him. There was emotion and hugs (again). I know from others in the community that that no one ever hugs Swamiji. It is a very strict environment where every action is carefully orchestrated and, Swami’s schedule and choreography is pre arranged! When we were accepting the shawl, I asked Swami if we could hug. He said "Yes, definitely. You are beautiful" And we hugged, sincerely. That was the best gift of all! I really love that guy. I feel blessed…once again.

2 comments:

  1. Manali is really a great place fro the point of Honeymooners, Adventure Lovers and for the Yoga. I always prefer to come from Vadodara to Manali by train, like toy train.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Away from hustle bustle life, one can admire the peace and serenity at this town. The trip from Kanpur to Manali is worth visiting. One will love the place and its undying natural beauty.

    ReplyDelete