Sunday, December 20, 2015

Pushing Through

My Yoga practice informs me on ways that I can manage my life. At times, I avoid getting onto my mat. I’m too busy, not in the mood, waiting for an important phone call, too tired. When I push through my reluctance and ease in to some form of engagement, Yoga becomes my teacher. The inspiration it offers becomes the focus for the effort to engage. At times, simply forging into my practice provides the reward and satisfaction I need.

I always remember the first time Sajee, my Yoga teacher in India, taught me how to get into a scorpion pose. I thought I would never be able to get there. “My balance isn’t good enough.” “My shoulders aren’t strong enough.”  “My body isn’t stable enough.”  “I’m too old.” “I’m too tired.” “I’m too hot and sweaty.” Sajee would hear none of it. He ‘took my hand’ and walked me through the journey. In days I was up in an inverted scorpion. It hurt some. I kept getting back up each time I toppled over. It was frustrating, frightening and humbling. I needed to persevere. And I did! Now I’m able to keep doing it years later. I’ve addressed it, faced it and accomplished desired results. My body remembers. I might choose one day to take it further, (putting my legs into lotus while inverted), but for now, I’m satisfied. I can live with it the way it is. I’m comfortable. When I’m not anymore, I’ll consider changes.

Sometimes intense changes in life happen simultaneously! Lately, for instance, I have been confronted with several life and death events, serious changes that profoundly affect my existence. My mom’s death, two grandchildren being born in two different cities, changes in primal relationships, easing into aging, adjusting to work responsibilities, these are all issues that I have had to integrate, all at the same time, over the last eight weeks. I don’t get to choose which ones I’ll deal with and which ones I’ll put aside. They are all necessary now! It’s how I choose to engage with each of them that makes the difference.

Much of the time, feeling good is easy! Giving thanks for the simple things in my life readily and often occurs.  The acuity of my senses, my connection with nature, relationships with my kids, social time with friends, my job and my openness to take time off, my extraordinary life partnership with Paul, and my ability to work through issues are all things I appreciate regularly. The challenge comes in finding the good even in the midst of hardship and pain. Settling in to the pain…accepting the hurt…welcoming the changes that come from growth all require different energy. Obstacles present an opportunity to push through, perhaps, or even just to accept that things aren’t always good and easy. Using recreational drugs and alcohol, keeping our selves busy, always having some event planned, socializing constantly, or clouding the boundaries between work and family, are all ways we evade having to soul search and connect to our inner child.  We try to run from discomfort, stuff the conflict, distract ourselves from the pain that we feel and just “carry on”. Ultimately these very obstacles provide the material to expand and grow and make us more resilient and stronger. Finding the gratitude in these toughest times, though way more challenging than ignoring them, allows me to become more of who I am.

My life is blessed! When I take the time to imagine how my life might be so different, I remind myself to appreciate that I do have what I have and that I am who I am! It could be different. Everything I have could be taken away at any time. The challenges I face sometimes bring me to my knees. I am not faultless. Not everything is laid out perfectly for me. I am meant to struggle and battle. Facing humbling experiences and rebuilding myself regularly reminds me to reflect more clearly about the kind of person I want to be. And through this work I keep coming back to the gentle lessons of forgiveness, compassion, respect and acceptance because, when it comes right down to it…. that’s exactly where I want to be. So today, when I approach my balancing postures, which are sometimes impossible, or my handstands, which require so much arm strength, or even my simple crow posture, which necessitates calm and focus, I welcome the challenges that these postures bring me. I identify, concentrate and struggle to achieve my goal. I can only try, and accept wherever I land…. for now.












No comments:

Post a Comment