Saturday, March 1, 2014

Seeking Unity


The waves are vigorous and free. They rush against the shore playfully, threatening to reach my toes. I am absorbing the warmth from the sandy earth. I am confident, for now, the waves will not reach me.

We are in a familiar place, a beautiful, quiet beach in Varkala. We were here four years ago during our first visit to India. Odayam Beach is away from the hustle and bustle of the more touristy area of Varkala Beach. We loved it then and sought it out now. It’s heavenly!

So much has changed for me in the last four years! For one thing, Yoga has completely embraced me. In so many ways I feel in unity with my world. My asana practise keeps me on track. With my daily ritual of physical practise I am reminded about the way I want to live my life:

Stretching: Pushing my limits even when I think I can’t go any further. For me, there is no concept of giving up. I set an intention and I keep moving towards it. Patience, tenacity and hope keep me going.

Flexibility: Becoming able to move in ways I didn’t think I could move before. Being open to alternatives and maintaining awareness that there are other ways of reaching the same goal. Letting go of the sameness of how I’ve done things in the past and gently incorporating fresh ideas gets me closer to my original purpose anyway. The more flexible I become, the more diverse my joints can move.

Finding calm: Regardless of my surroundings I am learning to rely on the patterns of my breath. It is mine! It is an integral part of me! It is with me always. I can use its constancy and predictability any time. And I lose myself in the comfort of her rhythm. I can even control that rhythm if I desire.

Bending: Bowing inspires humility. Reaching towards the sky and forward bending towards the ground allows me to give thanks to the sun, the moon, and the higher powers in the universe. Bowing, a sign of reverence and respect is invigorating and inspires my intellect. It helps me to expand the possibilities of  my perceptions and attitudes.

Strength: The more I practise, the stronger my body becomes. My muscles tighten and grow and the ability I feel to move increases. I need to be strong in this world to continue to do my work and the things I want to do. My grownup children, my increasing family members, my circle of friends, and the social health of my community wherever I am in the world all are focuses for my work. Our world can be challenging. There is still a lot of repair needed and there are many deterrents that make the work more difficult. Sustained commitment requires a strong essence. I can practise that and strengthen through asana.

Opening up: When I practise Yoga asanas I feel my body opening up. My heart reaches outward as I relax my shoulders downward. My body feels expansive as I reach out stretching my spine and expanding my limbs. I want to stay open in my mind and in my heart. I want to maintain acceptance and an approachable spirit. In my inverted postures I actually see things from a different perspective. I want to be able to practise seeing things differently always and to stay aware that others might too.


Our teacher, Sajee encourages me to imagine I am in water, floating comfortably and moving with ease as the water surrounds me. I listen, now, to the energy of the waves and watch its flow. The Arabian Sea is vigorous and strong. I don’t understand its depth or breadth and continuous energy! It reminds me about how much I don’t understand and how much more I have to learn! Yoga brings me closer to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment