Sunday, March 3, 2013

Learning To Let Go



Learning how to be flexible and stretch capacity are significant lessons that practising Yoga provides for me. I notice, as I travel, that these skills are so significant to maintain calm and avoid depending on expectations. Things don’t always turn out the way we think. For instance....

Ø                Our 2:45 train from Jaipur to Jodphur was really at 02:45…not 14:45! So when we arrive at the train station and go straight to platform #3, we wonder why the train isn’t coming. When we finally figure it out, we make arrangements for an overnight bus that leaves at 9:00. We find a nice quiet restaurant with wifi and beer, and, with all our belongings spend a glorious few hours as we wait. Other than the fact that the bus ride took 8 hours instead of the expected 5, we made it to Jodphur happy and satisfied. “Let go of expectations”.

Ø               Our camera was stolen in Bangalore! During the weekend of the Guru Pooja, many people come and go from the farm. On the Sunday afternoon, a special celebration happens where al the villagers from Kaglippura are invited to share a meal. The Gurukala hires cooks who actually begin setting up for the feast the night before. Large fires are lit and delicious Indian food…enough to feed hundreds, is prepared through the night. Disposable plates for all, made from banana leaves reinforces that composting is just a ‘given’.


          Mah reminds me, several times, to be careful. “Villagers”, she says, “are often taking things and don’t even think about the consequences.” I was careful! I really was! Until I wasn’t!

I remember placing my camera on top of my journal on the small cabinet outside the kitchen. I suppose I spent more time in the kitchen than I had anticipated. When I came out, I remember seeing my journal sitting on the cabinet. And I was very conscious of the empty space where my camera used to be! Immediately, I knew! I went right into “letting go” mode. It took some time for me to get over the loss of my camera. Luckily I had downloaded my pictures the night before so all that was on the camera was from that day, but my feelings of the day were altered. Why do people do bad things to each other?

Ø            From Ajmer we missed our train to Jodphur. They said our bus from Pushkar to the train station would only take 25-30 minutes! They said we had lots of time! It took an hour! We arrived, once again, to an empty platform! Bussing it again!

Ø            We flew from Bangalore to Delhi to begin our travels through Rajasthan. We arrive in Delhi and, with all of our bags, we wait at the public stand for our ride to the main train station for our long journey to Jaipur. As the bus arrives we rush on, aware of the havoc that usually occurs as Indian people board a bus. As we settle into our seat on the train, we realize that we are one bag short! We accidently left it at the bus stop! I spent the first part of our train trip in silence. I didn’t want to talk about it. I wanted just to process the loss. The bag, a medium sized carry on cloth bag, contained all the gifts we had bought over the past 3 weeks. Once I listed the actual items, I realized it didn’t amount to many dollars. It wasn’t about the money. It was about the thought and love that went into buying each one. I have to say, it was a very difficult few hours. I wrote my thoughts and feelings in my journal. By the time our train arrives in Jaipur, I had processed the loss enough to let go of the things we left behind.
     
            Once at our hotel in Jaipur, we decided to call the airport in case of the very slim chance that our bag was found and collected. I watched Paul as he spoke to the agent at the Lost and Found in Delhi Airport. I knew the moment he was told, “You’re bag is here.” After some clarifying questions, “What are some of the things in the bag? What kind of bag is it?” they were assured the bag was ours. They gave us a number and a promise that the bag would be there when we passed through Delhi Airport on our way back to Kerala. That story turned out okay and we learned how to better mind our belongings when we travel. And, most of all, the experience gives me practise in letting go and also in noticing the small miracles that abound! Imagine that someone took the time and energy to ensure that our bag can be found.
I suppose that when bad things happen I need to let it go. Better yet, maybe I can make something good come from something bad. Learning happens from life experiences.

Our trip this year has been overwhelmingly fantastic. Every day has presented something new and exciting. Sometimes I am amazed at the experiences we have been lucky enough to have had.  Even the bad things have turned good. Thank you India! Thank you dear Universe!

















No comments:

Post a Comment