Sunday, March 6, 2011

Thoughts in Sedona


We are very mindful of our homeward bound destination. The Red Rocks of Sedona welcome us again and absorb us into their energy. I am beckoned into the rocks and find daily solace in the warmth and embrace that they provide. I am confused. I feel untethered and loose. I am on my way home and I’m not sure what that means. There are changes ahead for me. I reflect.

This morning I made myself a mind map to help me make sense of the changes in my life. In my mind map of the “Important Things in My Life,” teaching represents a major bubble. As I go deeper in to what that means, I ask myself, “What do I want to teach?” Words like simplicity, getting along, learning how to learn, love of learning, reflection, back to basics, and new teachers are ideas that present themselves when I let my brain dump. As my life changes, I am faced with decisions that are serious and consequential. And the things that become important to me are simple and basic.

Being a great teacher is hard work. So is it challenging to be a good person. The kind of teacher I chose to be and the ways I chose to model what I teach is the most critical. It is not the what that becomes important. That we can get from books. Teaching is about the how.

I realize that the next few weeks will bring me closer to my practise of being a good teacher. My first workshop will take place almost immediately upon my return. I feel a sense of rhythm and joy as I embrace, once again, a group of teachers who might be inspired to recognize and appreciate their own potential. I truly believe that, together, we can make this world an even better place!



No comments:

Post a Comment