Thursday, August 5, 2010

Sharing Space in Nature


Our outside living situation on Gabriola happens only during the summer. Paul and I decided that we would hold off building a house, because, quite honestly, if we built a house, we would probably live in it. And we really like living outside!

So we have a beautiful tent and we put a firm foamy mattress inside. We cover the mattress with clean sheets and warm blankets. And we’re happy each night looking out of the top of the tent, becoming familiar with the star formation that design in the sky above our bed. The moon becomes memorable as the season progresses and her position swings further and further west as the summer continues.

I usually sleep well in our tent. And if I’m not sleeping well, I still appreciate being awake and aware of the outside. Last night there was a mouse in our kitchen and I could hear the little critter gnawing away at the paper towel that I inadvertently left out on the counter top. Every few minutes there would be a scurrying of mouse feet running past our tent. The straight pathway from kitchen to woods was repeated several times. It sounded as if there was a shuttle party running back and forth. I could almost hear the shrieks of joy from the mice as they carried the bits of treasure from source to home. I Think I lay awake for a long time, a gentle smile on my face, listening to the action.

I was thinking about what it would be like for me if this were in my kitchen in Toronto. A mouse in my kitchen would completely freak me out. I wouldn’t be able to sleep. I would be investigating the nearest and greatest rodent removal company. There is no way I would be able to withstand the idea of mice running around my house and infiltrating my kitchen.

I realized how, here, I gratefully share the environment with the mice.It is, after all, their space too. I have no fear. I experience no sense of disgust. I simply enjoy listening to the commotion and welcoming the presence in our home. I feel a true sense of co habitation and I love the idea of being a part of this natural world! And I am humbled.


No comments:

Post a Comment